Will Ferrell: Studio 'Idiots' Nixed 'Anchorman 2'
By Moviefone Editors Posted May 3rd 2011 09:05AM
Fans of 'Anchorman,' Will Ferrell's 2004 comedy about a goofy, egotistical '70s news anchor in San Diego, must remain in a glass case of emotion: Paramount Pictures has nixed the idea for a sequel.
The original 'Anchorman' was a comedic tour-de-force with Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, David Koechner, Christina Applegate and cameos from Luke Wilson, Tim Robbins and Ben Stiller, among others.
At a screening for Ferrell's new indie comedy 'Everything Must Go,' he told reporters he and creative partner Adam McKay are both ready to go on a sequel, but that Paramount owns the rights and doesn't believe 'Anchorman 2' would be a success.
"'Anchorman 2,' you'd have to really assert some kind of email hate campaign to Paramount Pictures because they've told us, quote-unquote, 'We've run the numbers and it's not a good fit,'" Ferrell told an audience of journalists (via CinemaBlend).
The red light from Paramount means that an old-school approach that Will Ferrell and Adam McKay had planned for the sequel will not be happening.
"We were going to do almost a reverse ... almost like how the Marx brothers used to do. We were going to do a Broadway musical and then have a film come out after the stage show," Ferrell said, confirming earlier rumors. "Everyone we tell the idea loves it, except for the studio that owns the rights. Ball's in their courts, but they're being idiots."
Ferrell has recently taken some time off big-budget ventures. He's been guest-starring on TV's 'The Office' and stars in a Spanish-language indie film, 'Casa de Mi Padre,' opposite Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal.
The Internet should get a petition going. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
See more at Moviefone..
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
MORE ABOUT Will Ferrell
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Will Ferrell Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Brownstone singer Charmayne Maxwell dies in freak accident
- Faith Hill reportedly underwent neck surgery in January
- ?Sharknado 3?: Mark Cuban, Ann Coulter to play President, Vice President
- Ethan Hawke Joining Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt in 'Magnificent Seven'
- Box-Office Picture Darkens Amid Focus on Tentpoles, Analyst Says
- Zac Posen to Revive the Charles James Brand (Report)
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Have Multiple Personalities in 'The Crowded Room'
- ?Box Office: Will Smith's Lost 'Focus' and the Oscars Effect
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 5, Episode 12 Recap: Shave and a Haircut