How Much Do Celebs Make on 'Dancing With the Stars'?
By Rob Shuter Posted May 4th 2011 10:01PM
'Dancing With the Stars' is one of the more profitable shows on TV, making hundreds of millions each season through ad revenue, but, how much of that bounty is going to the celebrity contestants?
"When you sign up, every contestant gets $150,000 for 6 weeks rehearsals and the first two shows," an insider with knowledge of the arrangement tells me. "Then every week you survive you make an extra $10,000 then $20,000 then $30,000 and so on, so the winner takes home $350,000."
Which sounds like a huge amount of money, but not to one past contestant, who complained to me this week about 12-hour work days and "ridiculous" amounts of "stress and strain" on the body.
"The show doesn't pay for massages or anything else," the former contestant, who is not part of the current cast, alleges. "The amount of physical stress and strain they put your body through, rehearsing six days a week, eight hours a day, is ridiculous."
My source said "I have never worked so hard in my life" and described one particularly busy performance day: "Our call time was 6:00 AM and we were rehearsing with the band by 8 and then live on the dance floor that evening. That's a 12-hour day."
And although I agree it doesn't feel right that the cast of 'The Jersey Shore' earn far more than Kirstie Alley and crew, I say welcome to the real world, where we pay for own massages too!
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kris Jenner Had No Comment on Bruce Jenner Interview? "I Wasn't Asked"
- Bruce Jenner Was Terrified to Come Out to Children; Brandon Jenner Knew First
- Bruce Jenner Clarifies Gender Identity vs. Sexuality in Diane Sawyer Interview: "It's Apples and Oranges"
- Bruce Jenner in interview: 'I am a woman'
- Sawyer Sweeten, 'Everybody Loves Raymond' child actor, dead at 19
- Comedian Artie Lange: It's not fair when people call me fat
- Bruce Jenner's Family Reacts to Diane Sawyer Interview: We Are "So Very Proud" of Our "Hero"
- Bruce Jenner Reveals Kanye West's Words of Wisdom, Says Kim Kardashian Has Been ''By Far'' the Most Accepting of His Gender Transition
- Bruce Jenner Admits He Once Contemplated Suicide