Oprah May Save the Biggest Star in the World for Her Final Guest
By Rob Shuter Posted May 4th 2011 09:15AM
It's one of the best kept secrets in all of entertainment: who will be Oprah Winfrey's final guest, ever? With only 20 days left until the the May 25 finale, friends of the talk queen hint that the leading candidate at the moment is the biggest star in the world ... Oprah herself!
"How can one celebrity possibly sum up 25 years of such a groundbreaking show?" an insider asks. "Who could possibility come on the show and represent everything Oprah has done" from celebrity interviews, to human-interest stories to politics to women's issues to breaking news.
She's done it all, my source says, and "only one person could do that and that is Oprah herself."
Oprah has spoken before of her love of the final episode of 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show,' where Mary turned out the lights and left. Is she planning something in that vein? Perhaps, especially since the third and second to last shows (May 23-24) are going to be star-studded affairs in what producers have dubbed "Surprise Oprah! A Farewell Spectacular."
The free shows, being held at Chicago's United Center on May 17, will include "some of the biggest names in movies, music and television in a one-time-only gathering to celebrate the 25-year legacy [of the show]."
Best of all, viewers will be treated to something they rarely see: a surprised Oprah.
"As most of our viewers know, being surprised is not one of Oprah's favorite things," said Harpo executive producer Sheri Salata. "In the spirit of our farewell season, she is making a rare exception and we intend to make the most of that opportunity. It will be something to see!"
Since those episodes will clearly be chocked full of stars, glitz, balloons and freaked-out audience members, show insiders tell me that Oprah may want to go out for good in a more understated, introspective way.
"Her last show will look back at some of her most important and favorite moments from her show," a source says, not surprisingly. "But at the end of the day the show will end where it started. A woman with a microphone looking into a camera and trying to make the world a better place."
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
MORE ABOUT Oprah Winfrey
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Oprah Winfrey Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Justin Timberlake Kisses Pregnant Jessica Biel's Bare Baby Bump on 34th Birthday: Instagram Photo
- Taylor Swift Wishes Justin Timberlake Happy Birthday, Posts Throwback Photo With Beyonce, Jay Z
- Rihanna, Kanye West, Paul McCartney to Perform at Super Bowl DirectTV Bash
- Authorities review video of Suge Knight incident
- Whitney Houston's daughter, Bobbi Kristina Brown, found unresponsive in tub
- Celebs and sports stars converge for pre-Super Bowl party
- Victor Cruz Reveals When He's Getting Married, Promises Giant Wedding Won't Be a "Snoozefest"
- Kim Kardashian Thinks North West May Be "Annoyed" at All Her Kisses, but What About Their Snuggle Fests?
- Birthday Boy Justin Timberlake Confirms Wife Jessica Biel Is Expecting, Shares Cutest (and Biggest) Baby Bump Photo