Report: 'General Hospital' May Shutter If Katie Couric-ABC Deal Goes Through
By AOL TV Editors Posted May 5th 2011 11:30AM
According to TMZ, Couric is close to signing a $20 million deal with ABC. The new deal would entail ABC News and '20/20' specials, fill-in anchoring gigs and a syndicated one-hour talk show. The show would debut September 2012. If that deal happens, ABC is considering giving the hour of programming space 'General Hospital' now occupies back to its affiliates.
'General Hospital' is the third-longest-running soap on the air, and after January 2012, it will be the only soap on ABC. In April, ABC canceled 'One Life to Live' and 'All My Children.' The two soaps will be replaced by lifestyle/talk shows 'The Chew' and 'The Revolution.'
However, audience reaction to the new shows has been mixed, even before the premieres. Should one show fail, Couric's show could just slip into that programming slot.
Once everything is set, Couric would most likely be at the 3PM time slot, vying for the viewers of the departed 'Oprah Winfrey Show.'
Couric's talks with CBS have reportedly fallen apart, with ABC offering her more of a presence across their network. The former 'Today' anchor will be leaving 'CBS Evening News' in June after five years on the job. She'll be replaced by Scott Pelley of '60 Minutes' fame.
The potential $20 million deal is for the first year of the talk show alone, Couric would be additionally compensated for her work on ABC News. Matt Lauer will reportedly not be part of Couric's potential talk show on ABC.
Get More at TV Squad >>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Lauren Conrad Gets Her "First Haircut in Years" -- See Her New Long Bob!
- Kim Kardashian Says Daughter North "Will Have to Work for What She Wants" -- Just Like She Did
- Starbucks to Unveil New Holiday Drink, the Chestnut Praline Latte: What It Tastes Like
- Jodi Arias Seeking Help From Admirers To Help Raise $250,000 For Appeals ? Has Already Raised $30,000
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Chrissy Teigen criticized for tweets on Ottawa shooting
- In defense of Renee Zellweger's face
- Fox News' Kimberly Guilfoyle Says Young Women Should Be Excused From Juries So They Can "Go Back on Tinder"
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Calls Leaked Tape a "Straight Setup," Says She's "More on Hank's Team" Now
- Nikki Bella Does Girls' Night in a Bentley, Ariane Attends Runway Event & More—See the Latest Total Divas Pics!