Report: 'General Hospital' May Shutter If Katie Couric-ABC Deal Goes Through
By AOL TV Editors Posted May 5th 2011 11:30AM
According to TMZ, Couric is close to signing a $20 million deal with ABC. The new deal would entail ABC News and '20/20' specials, fill-in anchoring gigs and a syndicated one-hour talk show. The show would debut September 2012. If that deal happens, ABC is considering giving the hour of programming space 'General Hospital' now occupies back to its affiliates.
'General Hospital' is the third-longest-running soap on the air, and after January 2012, it will be the only soap on ABC. In April, ABC canceled 'One Life to Live' and 'All My Children.' The two soaps will be replaced by lifestyle/talk shows 'The Chew' and 'The Revolution.'
However, audience reaction to the new shows has been mixed, even before the premieres. Should one show fail, Couric's show could just slip into that programming slot.
Once everything is set, Couric would most likely be at the 3PM time slot, vying for the viewers of the departed 'Oprah Winfrey Show.'
Couric's talks with CBS have reportedly fallen apart, with ABC offering her more of a presence across their network. The former 'Today' anchor will be leaving 'CBS Evening News' in June after five years on the job. She'll be replaced by Scott Pelley of '60 Minutes' fame.
The potential $20 million deal is for the first year of the talk show alone, Couric would be additionally compensated for her work on ABC News. Matt Lauer will reportedly not be part of Couric's potential talk show on ABC.
Get More at TV Squad >>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kim Kardashian Celebrates 45 Million Instagram Followers With, You Guessed It, a Cleavage Shot
- Bryan Cranston: Being Famous "Is Almost Like Being a Pregnant Woman"
- Sandra Bullock's Boyfriend Bryan Randall Is a "Free Spirit," "Amazing With Kids," Ex-Girlfriend's Mom Says
- Dean Jones, boyish Disney star, dies at 84
- Avril Lavigne announces separation from husband Chad Kroeger
- Robert Redford, Nick Nolte's friendship shines through in 'A Walk in the Woods'
- Sandra Bullock's Boyfriend Bryan Randall Can't Stop Gushing About His New Leading Lady—Get the Scoop!
- Blake Lively Reveals the "Fit Dude" Responsible for Her Post-Baby Body: He Knows "How to Kick My Butt"
- Julianne Hough Gushes About Engagement to Brooks Laich! Plus, Is She Already Planning the Wedding?