Report: 'General Hospital' May Shutter If Katie Couric-ABC Deal Goes Through
By AOL TV Editors Posted May 5th 2011 11:30AM
According to TMZ, Couric is close to signing a $20 million deal with ABC. The new deal would entail ABC News and '20/20' specials, fill-in anchoring gigs and a syndicated one-hour talk show. The show would debut September 2012. If that deal happens, ABC is considering giving the hour of programming space 'General Hospital' now occupies back to its affiliates.
'General Hospital' is the third-longest-running soap on the air, and after January 2012, it will be the only soap on ABC. In April, ABC canceled 'One Life to Live' and 'All My Children.' The two soaps will be replaced by lifestyle/talk shows 'The Chew' and 'The Revolution.'
However, audience reaction to the new shows has been mixed, even before the premieres. Should one show fail, Couric's show could just slip into that programming slot.
Once everything is set, Couric would most likely be at the 3PM time slot, vying for the viewers of the departed 'Oprah Winfrey Show.'
Couric's talks with CBS have reportedly fallen apart, with ABC offering her more of a presence across their network. The former 'Today' anchor will be leaving 'CBS Evening News' in June after five years on the job. She'll be replaced by Scott Pelley of '60 Minutes' fame.
The potential $20 million deal is for the first year of the talk show alone, Couric would be additionally compensated for her work on ABC News. Matt Lauer will reportedly not be part of Couric's potential talk show on ABC.
Get More at TV Squad >>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amanda Bynes Wears Blonde Wig in First Mugshot, Mariah Carey Suffers Wardrobe Malfunction: Top 5 Stories
- Elisabeth Moss Slams Jeremy Piven as "Highly Unprofessional"
- Ken Jeong Talks Hangover's Nude Scenes and Playing With the Asian Stereotype
- LeAnn Rimes New ‘Just A Girl Like You Video’— Watch It Here!
- Jodi Arias Jury Foreman Speaks Out —‘This Girl Was Crucified In The Court Of Public Opinion’
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
- Jennifer Aniston is a stripper in new movie role, who is your favorite good girl gone bad?