'Silver Boat' Author Luanne Rice on How to Write a Best-Seller
By Nicki Gostin Posted May 8th 2011 03:00PM
1. First of all write. I mean that seriously. Sit in a chair and actually write, don't just think about writing or talk about it, just actually do it. Do it steadily everyday no matter what. Just think about writing one page at a time and before you know it the pages accumulate really quickly especially when you have the characters in motion.
2. Don't think about what your mother is going to think about your writing or your husband or your first grade teacher because if you do you'll be censoring yourself and that is extremely harmful to writing, You end up kind of censoring your best stuff before you even get it out. I always think of keeping it between yourself and the page.
3. If you get stuck or you're not sure where it's going and if it's worth it or not, it's always fun to cast your books for the movies. Hopefully you've created really believable, vibrant, rich and full characters. It's a fun and helpful way to give yourself a shot in the arm.
4. There's nothing wrong with enjoying books like 'Sweet Valley High.' I read Nancy Drew when I was younger. As long as it's a good story that you want to turn the page and find out what happens. It's not necessary to judge whether something is good for you. If you enjoy reading it, it's fantastic.
5. Eat Chocolate: One of my favorite places to write in is Shutters on the Beach Hotel in Santa Monica. They have this one candy bar that's incredibly addictive. It's dark chocolate with salt in it. I believe they make me a better writer!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Arrested Development' fans geeking out over Netflix return
- When Instagram gets you in trouble: Miranda Kerr slammed for being 'disrespectful' to husband Orlando Bloom
- The Talented and Charming Brad Pitt
- Robin Roberts to Write Memoir
- 'American Horror Story,' 'Big Bang Theory' Lead Critics' Choice TV Nominations
- Celebrity Supporters Team Up for 'Draw the Line' Campaign PSA
- On the scene at the 2013 Webby Awards: What you didn't see at home
- EW's Morning Bite: And the best sound bite from last night is?
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill
- This Witch Gets You One Step Closer to a Trip to the Premiere of 'World War Z' (PHOTO)