Matthew Morrison Reveals Story Behind Sexy Song 'Summer Rain,' Performs Live in Sessions Studio
At his Sessions performance at AOL's Beverly Hills studio, Morrison was playful, pretending not to know who Elton John was, and joking about how "sexy" playing the ukulele is. Already in a good mood, he brightened even more when we broke the news that his first single, 'Summer Rain,' had just debuted on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart, marking his first appearance as a solo artist on the charts.
In 'Summer Rain' you sing about having sex on the roof. Is it a true story?
Well, yes, it is a true story. I was living in New York in my early 20s and my girlfriend at the time and I were up on my apartment roof on 51st and 9th Ave. It was a beautiful summer day and it just all of a sudden started raining. We ran to go inside and we didn't quite make it inside. The moment just kind of took us and if my 16-year-old self knew I was going to have a moment like that in my life, he would be so stoked [laughs]. A lot of people are saying "Matt Morrison likes to have sex in public," or whatever but for me, it was a beautiful moment about being in love in New York City.
Has she heard the song?
Yeah, I made sure she liked it before I put it on the album.
What do you want people to learn about you from this album?
Going into this album I thought it was really important that I write a lot of the songs myself because I felt like if I just did a bunch of covers it would just be another 'Glee' album. When I first started I actually wanted to make a record about my time in New York in my 20s and I wanted to have a Michael Bublé/Justin Timberlake kind of feel, but something very different came out. It was very organic and very me, so I was really happy with the entire process.
Watch Matthew Morrison Perform 'Summer Rain' at Sessions
Watch Matthew Morrison Full Sessions Performance
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'X-Men' director calls sex abuse lawsuit a shakedown
- FOX411's pic of the day
- James Franco on his 'intimate' selfies: 'It's not like I'm exposing myself'
- James Earl Jones to return to Broadway this fall in ?You Can't Take It With You'
- Man dressed as Spider-Man is running for political office in India
- ?The Twilight Saga: Eclipse': Bad Lip Reading version ? VIDEO
- Cute or Ew? 'Orange Is the New Black' Sneak Peek Reveals Piper's New Pastime in Solitary
- Clare Crawley Has a Message for ?Bachelor' Juan Pablo
- Taylor Armstrong Opens Up About Finding Love Again