Rapper Common's White House Performance Draws Criticism
By Boombox Editors Posted May 11th 2011 03:10AM
The Chicago native will join the likes of Jill Scott, Elizabeth Alexander and Alison Knowles for the poetry-inspired day.
The event, which will be hosted by First Lady Michelle Obama, also includes an afternoon workshop for students. Common will participate in the workshop before performing later in the evening.
His appearance is causing controversy among some right-winged political websites who have written his rhymes off as being riddled with violence, even labeling him a "gangster rapper."
Republican website Fox News Nation called the rapper, born Lonnie Rashid Lynn, "vile," citing lyrics from one of his poems, 'A Letter to the Law,' as evidence. In the piece, which he performed on HBO's Def Poetry Jam back in 2007, Common addresses the conditions in poverty-stricken communities, and police brutality as it relates to America's political climate. Among the most controversial lines in the poem, is when he slams former President Bush and questions the motive behind the war in the Middle East.
"With that happening, why they messing with Saddam? Burn a Bush 'cause for peace he no push no button/ Killing over oil and grease/ No weapons of destruction/ How can we follow a leader when this a corrupt one?" he raps.
Common doesn't seem too moved by the fodder surrounding his appearance, which he found out about via Twitter.
"So apparently Sarah Palin and Fox News doesn't like me," he tweeted to CNN political analyst Roland Martin. He also urged his followers to post links to websites that are taking issue with his involvement in the event.
Controversy aside, the White House event will move forward with the American poetry celebration as planned.
Get more at The BoomBox >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Filed under:
- Celebrity Fights -
- Music News -
- Troublemakers -
- Celebrity Twitter -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- AOL Music
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Lovelorn fan proposes to Keira Knightely during Broadway debut
- Geena Davis, 59, to play 44-year-old Jon Hamm's daughter
- Jim Carrey's ex reportedly committed suicide using pills prescribed to the comedian
- Amber Rose Hosts SlutWalk in Lingerie
- 'DWTS' Pro Dancer Witney Carson Is Engaged!
- HRC Does 'SNL,' Breaks out Donald Trump Impression
- Miley Cyrus Hosts SNL Season 41 Premiere: Taylor Swift's Squad, Hillary Clinton, and More Best Sketches
- Unauthorized Beverly Hills, 90210 Story: 10 Best Revelations, Including How Tori Spelling Had Shannen Doherty's Back
- Selma Blair on Playing Kris Jenner in American Crime Story: "I Don't Have Enough Good Things to Say About Her"