Rapper Common's White House Performance Draws Criticism
By Boombox Editors Posted May 11th 2011 03:10AM
The Chicago native will join the likes of Jill Scott, Elizabeth Alexander and Alison Knowles for the poetry-inspired day.
The event, which will be hosted by First Lady Michelle Obama, also includes an afternoon workshop for students. Common will participate in the workshop before performing later in the evening.
His appearance is causing controversy among some right-winged political websites who have written his rhymes off as being riddled with violence, even labeling him a "gangster rapper."
Republican website Fox News Nation called the rapper, born Lonnie Rashid Lynn, "vile," citing lyrics from one of his poems, 'A Letter to the Law,' as evidence. In the piece, which he performed on HBO's Def Poetry Jam back in 2007, Common addresses the conditions in poverty-stricken communities, and police brutality as it relates to America's political climate. Among the most controversial lines in the poem, is when he slams former President Bush and questions the motive behind the war in the Middle East.
"With that happening, why they messing with Saddam? Burn a Bush 'cause for peace he no push no button/ Killing over oil and grease/ No weapons of destruction/ How can we follow a leader when this a corrupt one?" he raps.
Common doesn't seem too moved by the fodder surrounding his appearance, which he found out about via Twitter.
"So apparently Sarah Palin and Fox News doesn't like me," he tweeted to CNN political analyst Roland Martin. He also urged his followers to post links to websites that are taking issue with his involvement in the event.
Controversy aside, the White House event will move forward with the American poetry celebration as planned.
Get more at The BoomBox >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Filed under:
- Celebrity Fights -
- Music News -
- Troublemakers -
- Celebrity Twitter -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- AOL Music
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Star Trek' does $70.6M on opening weekend, but falls short of studio's expectations
- Taylor Swift shines at Billboard Music Awards
- Twilight time for Stewart, Pattinson?
Huffington Post - EntertainmentFEED
- PHOTOS: Stars Shine On The 2013 Billboard Music Awards Red Carpet
- Ted Nugent's Brother Takes Swipe At Rocker's Gun Stance
- A Final 'Office' Farewell
- EW's Bite of the Night: Submit your favorite quote from tonight's best TV!
- ?Game of Thrones': OK Cupid reveals which characters are most compatible
- ?Saturday Night Live' finale recap: Ben Affleck shines, but Stefon and Fred Armisen steal the show
- David Beckham Cries at Last Soccer Game
- Kanye West on ?SNL': Performs ?New Slaves,' ?Black Skinhead'
- ?SNL' Bids Farewell to Bill Hader with a Big Stefon Wedding