Donny and Marie Invited to See 'Book of Mormon'
By Rob Shuter Posted May 11th 2011 10:20AM
Josh Gad and Andrew Rannells, the amazingly talented two lead actors of Broadway's monster hit, 'The Book Of Mormon,' tell me Donny and Marie Osmond have an "open invitation" to come and see the show whenever they want.
Chatting with both Tony Award-nominated actors backstage at LXTV, it was obvious that they couldn't be prouder to be part of the show. That said, neither should hold their breath about getting Donny or Marie, proud members of the LDS Church, to come out and see the controversial but hilarious show.
"It's never going to happen," a friend of Donny and Marie tells me. "They both take their faith very seriously and have no interest in paying to see it mocked in the name of what some people call entertainment."
The live-action musical centers on two 19-year-old Mormon missionaries who are sent to Uganda for their two-year mission. Their faith is challenged when they encounter poverty, malaria and AIDS ... and hilarity ensues.
The Church's top PR guy, Michael Otterson, said in Washington Post Op-Ed that the real danger of Trey Parker and Matt Stone's musical is if people "leave a theater believing that Mormons really do live in some kind of a surreal world of self-deception and illusion."
"I like every Mormon I've ever met. They're just so damn nice," Stone admitted to PopEater at a special preview in New York City back in February. "We aren't as worried about Mormons. It's the critics," Parker added.
My pal Kathie Lee Gifford has made it clear that this wasn't her cup of tea and her quote about it -- "This is NOT a family show" -- has even become part of its advertising.
But to say the show has been a hit with other celebs would be an understatement. The night I saw 'Mormon,' I was seated in the same row as Sandra Bullock and her sister, while Sting and Trudie Styler were right behind me! And just last weekend Anderson Cooper tweeted how much he enjoyed getting a chance to see it.
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Man charged in biting attack at Chicago's Lollapalooza music festival that wounded 2 men
- '19 Kids and Counting' star Michelle Duggar on how she and husband Jim Bob keep the flame alive
- HBO exec defends violence, sex scenes in 'Game of Thrones'
- Watch the first 5 minutes of Lifetime's ?Unauthorized Saved by the Bell' movie
- More adult women play video games than teen boys ? will the industry act accordingly?
- Watch Joe Manganiello and the men of ?La Bare' play Never Have I Ever
- It's a Girl for Stacy Keibler!
- Why Is NASCAR's Jimmie Johnson Driving Onto a High School Football Field?
- Watch the First Episode of ?Red Band Society' Now!
- Stacy Keibler Gives Birth, Jessica Simpson's Killer Legs: Top 5 Friday Stories
- Christmas Jammies Family Makes Back-to-School "Baby Got Class" Parody: Watch Now!
- Chris Burke Reflects on Corky Character, Life Goes On, Down Syndrome on Upcoming Oprah: Where Are They Now? Episode