Donny and Marie Invited to See 'Book of Mormon'
By Rob Shuter Posted May 11th 2011 10:20AM
Josh Gad and Andrew Rannells, the amazingly talented two lead actors of Broadway's monster hit, 'The Book Of Mormon,' tell me Donny and Marie Osmond have an "open invitation" to come and see the show whenever they want.
Chatting with both Tony Award-nominated actors backstage at LXTV, it was obvious that they couldn't be prouder to be part of the show. That said, neither should hold their breath about getting Donny or Marie, proud members of the LDS Church, to come out and see the controversial but hilarious show.
"It's never going to happen," a friend of Donny and Marie tells me. "They both take their faith very seriously and have no interest in paying to see it mocked in the name of what some people call entertainment."
The live-action musical centers on two 19-year-old Mormon missionaries who are sent to Uganda for their two-year mission. Their faith is challenged when they encounter poverty, malaria and AIDS ... and hilarity ensues.
The Church's top PR guy, Michael Otterson, said in Washington Post Op-Ed that the real danger of Trey Parker and Matt Stone's musical is if people "leave a theater believing that Mormons really do live in some kind of a surreal world of self-deception and illusion."
"I like every Mormon I've ever met. They're just so damn nice," Stone admitted to PopEater at a special preview in New York City back in February. "We aren't as worried about Mormons. It's the critics," Parker added.
My pal Kathie Lee Gifford has made it clear that this wasn't her cup of tea and her quote about it -- "This is NOT a family show" -- has even become part of its advertising.
But to say the show has been a hit with other celebs would be an understatement. The night I saw 'Mormon,' I was seated in the same row as Sandra Bullock and her sister, while Sting and Trudie Styler were right behind me! And just last weekend Anderson Cooper tweeted how much he enjoyed getting a chance to see it.
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
FOX 411FEEDMore From Fox News Li
- Now that the ?Report' has ended, reacquaint yourself with the real Colbert
- Mike Myers brought back Dr. Evil on ?Saturday Night Live'
- Gone Too Soon: An Emotional Look Back at the Stars We Lost in 2014
- Kourtney Kardashian Reveals Baby Boy's Unusual Name!
- Lance Bass Weds Michael Turchin, and an 'N Sync Member Performs!
- Real Housewives of Atlanta Recap: Demetria McKinney Makes Her Housewives Debut, Apollo Nida Cuddles Phaedra Parks and More
- Sony Plans to Release The Interview After Pulling It: "It Will Be Distributed"
- Tom Brokaw's Cancer Is in Remission: "I Face the New Year With Very Encouraging News"