Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore Talk Crushes, Fave Episodes and 'Nervous' Execs
By Rob Shuter Posted May 11th 2011 11:27PM
"I had a crush on her, and that always helps!" Dick says when talking about their undeniable chemistry on the classic show. "I love that the people thought we were married in real life."
Mary countered, "Well, I know! So did my then husband!"
Later, the duo are asked who they'd pick to play themselves in a remake of the show, which ran from 1961 until 1966. "I'd probably choose Téa Leoni to play me and Greg Kinnear to play Dick," Mary says. "I don't know if Greg can move like Dick does!"
Dick's pick to play the Rob character is a good one: Jim Carrey.
Also in the episode Dick and Mary talk about their favorite episodes of the series (the inflatable raft!) and she speaks about the anxiety the network brass had because she wanted to break the mold of hoop-skirt-wearing TV wives.
"We were not like the prior situation comedies about husbands and wives," Mary says. "You know, where the housewife was vacuuming in a big flowered frock and I said 'I'd really like to wear pants, because that's what I wear as a housewife. And they let me do it, but they were very nervous."
Go back in time with 'Rachael Ray' on Thursday, May 12th.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kelly Osbourne Quits Fashion Police: Khloe Kardashian and NeNe Leakes Being Considered to Replace Her
- Sharon Osbourne, Melissa Rivers React to Kelly Osbourne Quitting Fashion Police
- Lupita Nyong'o's Oscars 2015 Calvin Klein Dress Possibly Found: Details
- Jennifer Lawrence blasts story of on-set fight
- Jennifer Lawrence reportedly has meltdown on set of David O. Russell movie
- Rosie O'Donnell files for divorce from wife Michelle Rounds
- Even Kate Upton Needs a Touch-Up! Model Steps Out Makeup-Free, Reveals Blotchy Skin
- Amber Rose's Butt Comes Up in Manslaughter Trial: Defendant Claims She Gave Amber Injections!
- Robert De Niro Didn't Mean to Not Pay $6.4 Million in Taxes—the IRS Just Mixed Up His Address!