Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore Talk Crushes, Fave Episodes and 'Nervous' Execs
By Rob Shuter Posted May 11th 2011 11:27PM
"I had a crush on her, and that always helps!" Dick says when talking about their undeniable chemistry on the classic show. "I love that the people thought we were married in real life."
Mary countered, "Well, I know! So did my then husband!"
Later, the duo are asked who they'd pick to play themselves in a remake of the show, which ran from 1961 until 1966. "I'd probably choose Téa Leoni to play me and Greg Kinnear to play Dick," Mary says. "I don't know if Greg can move like Dick does!"
Dick's pick to play the Rob character is a good one: Jim Carrey.
Also in the episode Dick and Mary talk about their favorite episodes of the series (the inflatable raft!) and she speaks about the anxiety the network brass had because she wanted to break the mold of hoop-skirt-wearing TV wives.
"We were not like the prior situation comedies about husbands and wives," Mary says. "You know, where the housewife was vacuuming in a big flowered frock and I said 'I'd really like to wear pants, because that's what I wear as a housewife. And they let me do it, but they were very nervous."
Go back in time with 'Rachael Ray' on Thursday, May 12th.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Fred Durst Distances Himself From Robert Durst With Hilarious Sweatshirt
- Nicki Minaj, Rumored Boyfriend Meek Mill Get Affectionate Backstage: See the Pictures
- Prince George Steals the Spotlight From Grandfather Prince Charles in New Royal Video
- Craig Morgan on MSNBC guest's criticism of country music: Comment was 'ignorant'
- Lena Dunham called anti-Semitic for article titled 'Dog or Jewish Boyfriend?'
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Liv Tyler Makes Red Carpet Debut Just 6 Weeks After Giving Birth to Son Sailor—See the Pics!
- Ludacris Says Paul Walker Jokes Went "Too Far" During Justin Bieber Roast, Reveals He Was "Promised" They'd Be Cut
- Hope Solo Reveals She Entered Therapy to Address ''Pain and Anger'' During 30-Day Suspension From U.S. Soccer Team