Kesha and Nicki Minaj Talk Fame, Groupies, Acting
The issue, which is only available to Billboard subscribers, features the up-and-coming stars sharing their experiences of sudden fame. Ke$ha told the magazine she only experienced her first groupie recently.
Read more on Ke$ha and Nicki, plus check out their Billboard photo spreads.
Looking back at her incredible year, Ke$ha still can't believe her good fortune. "Are you kidding?" she says, when asked if she's come to terms with her newfound superstardom. "I'm not used to any of this yet." Then, for effect, she adds, "I just had my first groupie last night!" Okay, so don't forget everything you think you know about Ke$ha.
Ke$ha opens up about how intimate she gets with fans a during her tours.
At a recent show, she pulled a boy onto the stage-something she does midway through each performance-but it was Ke$ha who was left speechless. "He started crying and he told me that the only reason he was alive was because of my music," she says. "He'd never felt accepted for who he was, and through my songs he realized that there are people out there who will love him for exactly who he is, and so he decided to come out of the closet." It was this interaction, however brief, that convinced Ke$ha (born Kesha Rose Sebert) to ignore the critics and focus on her fans. "I'm doing this to make people happy," she says, "and that's translating. Quite frankly, that's the reason I think I was put on the planet this lifetime. I'm here to make music, so the fact that it's resulting in a positive change is the ultimate payoff for me."
Minaj talks about acting as her first love, and how it influenced her to bring more characters to her songs and performances.
What alchemy has positioned Minaj so neatly at the heart of the zeitgeist? Her prodigious musical and performance skills are crucial, of course, as is her imaginative glamour. "Acting was my first love," Minaj says, and the former drama student inhabits her characters, from alter egos Roman Zolanski and his mother, Martha, to her turn as a creepy schoolgirl on Saturday Night Live. Whether she's a vampire, a jungle guerilla fighter, or a sultry Cleopatra in her videos, Minaj sends a message: women don't need to be sold by tired sexual clichés.
Even more up-and-coming artists have a chance to grace the BIllboard stage thanks to Cruze-ing to Vegas Battle of the Bands hosted by Mark McGrath May 18 at the Fremont Experience in Las Vegas. The winner will get to perform at the Billboard Music Awards. For more visit Billboard Magazine.
MORE ABOUT Ke$ha
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Ke$ha Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Toys 'R' Us pulling 'Breaking Bad' dolls from stores, website
- 'Django' actress Daniele Watts charged with lewd conduct
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Live-action ?Static Shock,' ?Mortal Kombat' unveiled as part of WB digital slate
- What is going on at Marvel? A PopWatch conspiracy theory
- Someone made a real hoverboard, so you should maybe get excited a little bit
- What Are Kerry Washington's Makeup Must-Haves?
- The Palin Family Brawl in Alaska: Listen to Bristol Describe Her Beatdown!
- Kris Jenner Responds to Rumors She Was on a Date with a Mystery Man
- Kate Middleton Makes First Appearance Since Suffering From Morning Sickness; Blake Lively Shows Off Baby Bump and Cleavage: Top 5 Stories
- Uma Thurman's 16-Year-Old Daughter Maya Looks Almost Identical to Her -- See the Mini-Me Picture!
- A Man in Chicago Told President Obama to Not Flirt With His Fiancee and It Was Amazing -- Watch Here