'Bridesmaids' Say Double Standard Exists for Women in Comedy
By Rob Shuter Posted May 13th 2011 02:50PM
"There is a double standard, and we like to pretend that it isn't there. But they [men] can get away with so much, and for us it's like, oooh, you did that? That might ruin your career. Really?" Bridesmaid Wendi McLendon-Covey tells me with co-star Ellie Kemper agreeing. "There was a scene in the bridal shop that was a bit explosive. But after reading it I was like do we have to?"
But if this film does as well as early reviews and word of mouth indicate, it could change female comedies forever.
"We ruined a lot of takes laughing, the crew too," Wendy tells me. And when the ladies finally saw it with a real audience they were laughing too. "I peed my pants when I saw it I was laughing so hard," Ellie giggles.
Both women predict this film will turn star and co-writer, Kristen Wiig into a "big movie star" and joke that she will become a monster to work with.
So what is it that is so great about being a real-life bridesmaid in the first place? "First of all I think it's so American. Penis straws? Why does that have to be a thing" wonders Ellie.
"And why do we put up with being Bridesmaids?" asks Wendi. "We know it's going to suck. Being in a wedding it's like being presented with an invoice. And by the time the wedding rolls around, we hate them. I've gotten my toenails done with you ... and I'm broke."
Ellie, who after this movie could very well be too busy being a movie star to stay on NBC's 'The Office,' revealed that the TV show "is more alive than ever!" and is hoping that Charlie Sheen will take over when Will Ferrell's limited run ends.
As you know, 'Bridesmaids' opens this weekend. For my entire interview with Wendi and Ellie, tune into 'Naughty But Nice with Rob' this Saturday at 1 PM and 7 PM only on HDNet.
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- Movie News -
- Videos -
- Interviews -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Actress Sheila MacRae from 1960s re-creation of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Ted Turner hospitalized in South America
- Taylor Swift befriends a Victoria's Secret beauty
- Lesli Klainberg Named Executive Director of Film Society of Lincoln Center
- Amy Sedaris to Co-Star in Fox's Jane Krakowski Comedy
- Scott Kalvert, 'Basketball Diaries' Director, Dies at 49
- ?Vampire Diaries': Say goodbye to Katherine Pierce by reliving some of her best moments ? VIDEO
- ?Episodes' star Chris Diamantopoulos reveals his first celeb crush, makes you want to listen to Roxette ? VIDEO
- Captain America exhibit opens at Disneyland: On the Scene
- Renee Zellweger's Next Movie, 'The Whole Truth,' Is Her First in Four Years
- Jennifer Lawrence's Boyfriend, Nicholas Hoult, Is Very Aware of His 'Bystander' Status
- '300: Rise of an Empire': By the Numbers Review