Revamped 'Spiderman' Previews Hit Broadway
By Kelly Fisher Posted May 13th 2011 06:10AM
According to E! Online, the show's overall concept, script, and music were all revamped in an effort to make the Broadway musical both entertaining and safe -- two things the original show reportedly lacked.
Julie Taymor, who originally sat in the director's chair for the seemingly cursed show, has been replaced by relatively new Broadway director Philip William McKinley to make some necessary changes. And one of those changes is -- wait for it -- adding flying sequences.
The flying stunts may come as a surprise to some, especially after several actors were injured trying perform them late last year. One stunt actor, Christopher Tierney, took a 20-foot plunge during a show, landing him in surgery with several broken bones. The injuries, plus cast departures citing safety concerns, eventually led to the musical's overhaul after the opening was continually delayed.
In addition to the script and action changes, Bono and The Edge have been hard at work adding new songs into the mix.
"What was great about 'Turn Off the Dark' 1.0 was unusual and rare: magic, a pop-up Pop-Art opera with a bit of rock 'n' roll circus thrown in," Bono wrote in an email to the New York Times. "What was not right about it was a catalog of commonplace problems -- story knots, bad sound and finally a failure to cohere, meaning that the whole was not greater than the sum of the parts, as wonderful as some of those parts were."
Those behind the $5 million overhaul of 'Spiderman' have their fingers crossed that it was worth it. Though Thursday night's preview was less than sold out -- empty seats were reportedly very noticeable -- there's enough time for positive buzz to bring in the crowds in time for its June 14 opening night.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Cannes Film Festival: The best and worst dressed
- Marilyn Monroe photos stolen ahead of Prague exhibition
- Helen Mirren dresses like Queen Elizabeth, grants sick child's wish to meet royality
- USA Orders Family Comedy Pilot From 'Fairly Legal' Producer
- Netflix's Ted Sarandos Reveals His 'Phase 2' for Hollywood
- TV Ratings: 'Dancing' Rises in Finale, 'Voice' Dips, 'SYTYCD' Steady With Premiere
- Gets Better Every Time: A ?Flavor of Love' song ? VIDEO
- ?Friends' reunion alert! Matthew Perry has some advice for Jennifer Aniston ? VIDEO
- Jimmy Kimmel's ?The Baby Bachelor' continues his search for true love ? VIDEO
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS)
- Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller
- Helen Mirren Grants Dying Child's Wish, Has Tea With Him as Queen Elizabeth