Shania Twain Reveals She Is Losing Her Voice
By Christo Varghese Posted May 13th 2011 04:15AM
Twain revealed to E! Online that years of suppressing and repressing her voice and emotions had damaged her vocal cords.
The 45-year-old singer revealed that she has a condition called Dysphonia, which brings about an impairment in the ability to produce voice sounds.
The condition manifested itself when she found out that her ex-husband, Robert "Mutt" Lange, was having an inappropriate relationship with one of her closest friends, Marie-Anne Thiébaud.
She talks about how her divorce affected her and in-turn her voice. "During the course of my divorce, I dug a big hole and stopped growing and searching and had given up. I realized I had to climb back out...You can only help yourself. Others can support you. Just asking myself what I was going to do helped make a place for optimism. You start to isolate yourself in your own misery."
Twain reveals, "I had reached a point in my life where there was a bottleneck, physically, in my throat. Something had to give."
She said that since her discovery, she is now on the road to recover her lost voice. "I've only just discovered what's wrong. Next comes rehabilitation, which will take a long time. Physical rehabilitation, voice therapy, learning how to breath again...and the singing will come."
Recently on 'The Oprah Winfrey Show,' Twain talked about how she felt during her darkest days. "I never contemplated killing myself. But certainly there were moments where I didn't want to live. I wouldn't have done anything about it, but I just lost my will to live. But I can understand why people do. Living in silence is very painful."
Twain has since moved on with her life and is now married to Frederic Thiebaud, the husband of her former friend. The couple got married in Rincon, Puerto Rico, on New Years Day 2011.
Twain wrote on her blog of Thiebaud, "I'm in love! Frederic has been a true gift to me as a compassionate, understanding friend. Over time, an amazing love has blossomed from this precious friendship."
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- John Mayer: I'm a 'recovered ego addict'
- The dress that went viral used in ad about domestic violence
- ?The Expendables' event series coming to Fox
- Wow! Kim and Kanye Have Sex How Many Times a Day?
- Kelly Clarkson Dated Who?! The Star Confession We Never Saw Coming
- Cute Overload! See Taylor Swift's 'I Woke Up Like This' Selfie with Olivia Benson
- Salvation Army Turns The Dress Debate Into a Powerful Conversation on Domestic Violence: Photo
- Katie Holmes Needs a Guy "Who Can Scoop Her Up and Do a Tango," Costar Norbert Leo Butz Says
- Dean Sheremet: The "Dumbest Thing" LeAnn Rimes Ever Did for Her Career "Was Divorce Me"