Shania Twain Reveals She Is Losing Her Voice
By Christo Varghese Posted May 13th 2011 04:15AM
Twain revealed to E! Online that years of suppressing and repressing her voice and emotions had damaged her vocal cords.
The 45-year-old singer revealed that she has a condition called Dysphonia, which brings about an impairment in the ability to produce voice sounds.
The condition manifested itself when she found out that her ex-husband, Robert "Mutt" Lange, was having an inappropriate relationship with one of her closest friends, Marie-Anne Thiébaud.
She talks about how her divorce affected her and in-turn her voice. "During the course of my divorce, I dug a big hole and stopped growing and searching and had given up. I realized I had to climb back out...You can only help yourself. Others can support you. Just asking myself what I was going to do helped make a place for optimism. You start to isolate yourself in your own misery."
Twain reveals, "I had reached a point in my life where there was a bottleneck, physically, in my throat. Something had to give."
She said that since her discovery, she is now on the road to recover her lost voice. "I've only just discovered what's wrong. Next comes rehabilitation, which will take a long time. Physical rehabilitation, voice therapy, learning how to breath again...and the singing will come."
Recently on 'The Oprah Winfrey Show,' Twain talked about how she felt during her darkest days. "I never contemplated killing myself. But certainly there were moments where I didn't want to live. I wouldn't have done anything about it, but I just lost my will to live. But I can understand why people do. Living in silence is very painful."
Twain has since moved on with her life and is now married to Frederic Thiebaud, the husband of her former friend. The couple got married in Rincon, Puerto Rico, on New Years Day 2011.
Twain wrote on her blog of Thiebaud, "I'm in love! Frederic has been a true gift to me as a compassionate, understanding friend. Over time, an amazing love has blossomed from this precious friendship."
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Anita Baker sued by lawyer who claims she owes him money
- Country trio Lady Antebellum's adult sound on new album '747'
- ?Sons of Anarchy' star Theo Rossi on the shows that make him cry
- That ?Tetris' movie you always wanted is finally happening
- New Banksy artwork appears in English seaside town
- Jennifer Lopez and Leah Remini Recall Their Scary Car Accident
- Find Out How to Date ?Walking Dead' Star Lauren Cohan
- Anti-Aging Tips for Twenty-Somethings! What You Should Start Doing Today
- Couple Leaves Waiter a $100 Tip for Bad Service; See George Clooney, Amal Alamuddin's First Wedding Photo: Top 5 Stories
- Ben Affleck Goes Full Frontal in Gone Girl, Jokes His Penis "Looks Better in 3-D!"
- Sofia Vergara, Joe Manganiello Go On Double Date With Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Tatum -- See the Hot Pics!