Chaz Bono: My Mom Just Needed More Time to Accept Me
By Rob Shuter Posted May 17th 2011 10:59PM
"I think she was surprised. I think she didn't expect people to be able to handle it as well as they have," Chaz said. "I really thought that we had come farther than I think my mom did. I think that's probably just a generational thing."
Chaz also talked about his relationship with longtime girlfriend, Jennifer Elia. They've been engaged for a while, but had to put any marriage plans on hold for obvious reasons.
"We've been engaged for about two years now," Chaz said. "So when all this stuff started happening and Jen was in grad school and I had started my transition, we had to table it for a while. So we'll get back into it."
The 42-year-old activist, who is promoting his book, 'Transition,' and documentary 'Becoming Chaz' (on Oprah's OWN), called the very fact that he can now get married "a weird thing for us" because just a few years ago he was not legally male.
"It feels weird for us. So many of our friends are gay and lesbian. We're big supporters of marriage equality and Prop 8 was happening in California, we were really involved," Chaz said. "So that is kind of a weird thing for us, too, that now we can do it. Exactly, it feels a little weird."
And just like all other couples who can marry, Chaz and Jennifer will be able divorce if that's what it come to. Chaz warns that for similar couples, the outcome hasn't always been pretty.
"There have been cases when the divorce happens where it has gotten around child support and stuff like that where there have been some really nasty court cases and people challenging it."
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Scooby-Doo's' Daphne goes from size 2 to size 8
- Former 'Jeopardy' contestant indicted for assaulting legislator's wife
- Robin Williams' ashes reportedly scattered in San Francisco Bay last week
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Extra Scoop: Pamela Anderson Rants Against ALS Ice-Bucket Challenge
- Gossip Girl: Was Lindsay Lohan's Credit Card Declined at a Club?
- 'Extra' Trend Spotter: Great Shoes from Nine West!
- Mariah Carey, Nick Cannon Living Apart, Marriage on the Rocks; How Ciara Discovered Future Was Cheating: Top 5 Stories
- Iggy Azalea Announced As Headliner at the SLS Las Vegas Grand Opening Party
- Kristen Stewart, Nicholas Hoult Complete ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With "Dirty Bath Water"