James Frey Tells Oprah He Doesn't Respect Memoirs
By AOL TV Editors Posted May 17th 2011 11:14AM
Oprah Winfrey helped make 'Pieces' into a bestseller in 2005 when she made it a selection for her popular book club and interviewed the author on her show. But hteir second meeting in 2006 wasn't quite as amicable, when it came to light that Frey had fabricated large parts of the story and he returned to the show to admit that he had made up parts of the book and receive a verbal flogging from the talk show queen.
On Monday's 'The Oprah Winfrey Show', Winfrey reunited with Frey on the road to her final episode, and he reaffirmed his feelings about memoirs.
"I don't have a whole lot of respect for the genre. I think most writers of memoirs, and this is a very unpopular statement, do what I did."
Frey said he thinks most people who write memoirs manipulate and fabricate things and play with the truth to tell the best story they can. But, given his past track record, he might be exaggerating that just a little bit.
Get more at TV Squad >>
MORE ABOUT Oprah Winfrey
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Oprah Winfrey Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Lisa Rinna, 51, Shows Off Amazing Bikini Body on Vacation: Photos
- Zayn Malik Leaves Home With Guitar After One Direction Exit: Photo
- Josh Duhamel Gushes Over Fergie on Her Birthday: "40 Never Looked So Good!"
- Raven-Symone's confusion: 'I'm from every continent in Africa'
- Leonard Nimoy's son planning documentary about his father
- World receives its first glimpse of 'Spectre,' new James Bond movie
- Scott Disick Plans to Return to Rehab: "I'm Not Done Working on Myself"
- Coco Rocha Gives Birth! Model and Husband James Conran Share First Photo of Their "Beautiful" Baby Girl
- Nick Jonas Delivers Alcohol, Crashes Party and Sings and Drinks With Fans—Check Out Pics and Details!