James Frey Tells Oprah He Doesn't Respect Memoirs
By AOL TV Editors Posted May 17th 2011 11:14AM
Oprah Winfrey helped make 'Pieces' into a bestseller in 2005 when she made it a selection for her popular book club and interviewed the author on her show. But hteir second meeting in 2006 wasn't quite as amicable, when it came to light that Frey had fabricated large parts of the story and he returned to the show to admit that he had made up parts of the book and receive a verbal flogging from the talk show queen.
On Monday's 'The Oprah Winfrey Show', Winfrey reunited with Frey on the road to her final episode, and he reaffirmed his feelings about memoirs.
"I don't have a whole lot of respect for the genre. I think most writers of memoirs, and this is a very unpopular statement, do what I did."
Frey said he thinks most people who write memoirs manipulate and fabricate things and play with the truth to tell the best story they can. But, given his past track record, he might be exaggerating that just a little bit.
Get more at TV Squad >>
MORE ABOUT Oprah Winfrey
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Oprah Winfrey Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Debra Messing Talks Beloved Will & Grace Role: "I Will Forever Be Grace Adler"
- Nick Jonas' Girlfriend Olivia Culpo Stars in His New "Jealous" Music Video: Watch
- Jenna Dewan Tatum's Effortless Waves at Parker on Spring Launch: Copy the Star's Look
- The Bridal Party, Big Day Plan And Who's Footing The Enormous Bill: New Details Emerge On George Clooney's Wedding To Amal Alamuddin
- Alanis Morissette said fame caused her to have PTSD
- Liza Minnelli recovering after surgery
- 'Fight Church:' Does modern Christianity feminize guys?
- Sherri Shepherd Calls Surrogate Baby Drama "Painful," Her Ex Lamar Sally Speaks Out About Custody
- Toys "R" Us Releases List of Hottest Holiday Toys, So Parents Better Get Shopping NOW
- Miranda Lambert Can't Hold Back the Tears as She Sings "Over You" to Young Cancer Fan—Watch Now!