Maria Shriver: 'This Is a Painful and Heartbreaking Time'
By Marc Schneider Posted May 17th 2011 01:04PM
Maria Shriver has asked for compassion and privacy just hours after it was revealed that her husband of 25 years, former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, had fathered a child with a member of their household staff.
"This is a painful and heartbreaking time," Shriver said in a statement to the media. "As a mother, my concern is for the children. I ask for compassion, respect and privacy as my children and I try to rebuild our lives and heal. I will have no further comment."
They have four children, ranging in age from 13 to 21. One of them, 17-year-old Patrick, took to Twitter today to say he "feels like s**t" but loves his family.
Shriver reportedly moved out of the couple's house earlier this year after Schwarzenegger revealed to her that he was the father of a staff member's child.
"After leaving the governor's office I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago," Schwarzenegger said Monday in a statement. "I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry."
The woman with whom Schwarzenegger had the affair reportedly worked in the family's home for the past 20 years, and retired this past January. Though her name has not been released, she told the Times that she left voluntarily and received severance pay.
"I wanted to achieve my 20 years, then I asked to retire," she said, adding that she "left on good terms with them."
Schwarzenegger and Shriver announced their seemingly shocking separation just last week.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- WATCH: 'Everybody Loves Raymond' cast reunites
- Celebrities who saved themselves for marriage
- FOX411's pic of the day
- 'Stonehearst Asylum' Trailer: Ben Kingsley Locks Up Michael Caine (Video)
- Josh Adler Joins Circle of Confusion as Manager
- New Trailers Released for 'Shadows of Mordor' Videogame (Video)
- ?Mindy Project' star Adam Pally reveals which celeb sex tape he owns
- Recast ?Game of Thrones' princess posts hilarious video reaction
- 'The Walking Dead' Producer Robert Kirkman Knows When Every Character Will Die
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Is Going to Go Bonkers at the Box Office
- This 'How to Get Away With Murder' First Look Is Getting Us Excited for ABC's Thursday Night Lineup (VIDEO)