Willie Nelson Endorses Republican for President
By PopEater Staff Posted May 18th 2011 11:16AM
After meeting with the former New Mexico Governor following a concert in his native Texas, Nelson decided to give his Teapot Party's endorsement to Johnson, a longtime pot fan.
In his official response to the honor, Johnson called Nelson an "iconic entertainer, philanthropist, innovator and champion for individual rights."
"Not only is he a superstar talent, he is a bold advocate for social change," Johnson continued. "Americans are demanding the freedom and opportunity to pursue their dreams without interference from a heavy-handed government, and Willie Nelson lends a tremendous voice to those demands."
On marijuana, Nelson has said "Tax it, regulate it, legalize it." During the Republican debate on May 5, Johnson echoed that opinion, saying "I advocate legalizing marijuana -- control it, regulate, tax it."
He entered the race in April during a trip to the all-important primary state of New Hampshire.
This is the first endorsement for the newly formed Teapot Party. In 2008, Nelson gave his support to Rep. Dennis Kucinich, Democrat of Ohio.
Nelson was arrested in late November of last year at a border checkpoint in Texas when agents found six ounces of giggle smoke on his tour bus. When asked whose pot it was, Nelson piped up and took the rap.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Shawn Mendes: Taylor Swift 'the best person in the world'
- ?Killing Jesus' breaks rating record with 3.7 million viewers for NatGeo
- Hilary Duff explains bikini pic: I felt good
- 'The Walking Dead': What's Next?
- Jay Z Announces #TIDALforALL Streaming Service with Support from A-List Musicians
- Trevor Noah: 5 Things You Need to Know About the New ?Daily Show' Host
- NeNe Leakes and Kim Zolciak Will Go on a Road Trip in Bravo's NeNe and Kim: The Road to Riches -- Read More About Bravo's New Shows
- Zendaya Tells the Internet to Relax About Her Ever-Changing Hairstyles, They're Just Wigs: Watch the Video
- Watch Halle Berry and Ellen DeGeneres Stuff Their Bras With $5,000 Cash in This Funny Video!