Willie Nelson Endorses Republican for President
By PopEater Staff Posted May 18th 2011 11:16AM
After meeting with the former New Mexico Governor following a concert in his native Texas, Nelson decided to give his Teapot Party's endorsement to Johnson, a longtime pot fan.
In his official response to the honor, Johnson called Nelson an "iconic entertainer, philanthropist, innovator and champion for individual rights."
"Not only is he a superstar talent, he is a bold advocate for social change," Johnson continued. "Americans are demanding the freedom and opportunity to pursue their dreams without interference from a heavy-handed government, and Willie Nelson lends a tremendous voice to those demands."
On marijuana, Nelson has said "Tax it, regulate it, legalize it." During the Republican debate on May 5, Johnson echoed that opinion, saying "I advocate legalizing marijuana -- control it, regulate, tax it."
He entered the race in April during a trip to the all-important primary state of New Hampshire.
This is the first endorsement for the newly formed Teapot Party. In 2008, Nelson gave his support to Rep. Dennis Kucinich, Democrat of Ohio.
Nelson was arrested in late November of last year at a border checkpoint in Texas when agents found six ounces of giggle smoke on his tour bus. When asked whose pot it was, Nelson piped up and took the rap.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ex-Miss Nevada Katherine Reese busted again for meth possession, report says
- 'Airplane Repo' star Mike Kennedy: Community overreacting to escaped King Cobra
- Video resurfaces of Jared Fogle commenting on 'To Catch a Predator'
- Rumor Bust! These Stories About Rob Pattinson & Kristen Stewart Are NOT True
- Hayden Christensen and Kate Bosworth Explore the Afterlife in '90 Minutes in Heaven'
- TV Guide! Hot New Shows for Fall 2015