Rosie Perez to Sue Over 'Law & Order: SVU' Injuries
By Kelly Fisher Posted May 19th 2011 06:55AM
According to the NY Daily News, Perez was filming a guest role on the hit New York City-based crime drama in September 2009 when a scene called for an extra to forcibly shake her. The violent action caused Perez to suffer a herniated disc which took two surgeries to correct.
"The thing to do was taking someone who knows what he's doing to make it look violent without being violent," said Perez's lawyer Brian O'Dwyer, who filed a lawsuit Wednesday in the Brooklyn Supreme Court. "This person was not a stuntman, he was just an extra."
Perez continued to work on the episode, titled 'Hardwired,' which O'Dwyer said likely caused her injuries to worsen.
"There was pressure on her to continue and finish up the episode and she did," he said.
The lawsuit doesn't mention a specific dollar amount the 'Pineapple Express' actress hopes to get from the lawsuit, but given the severity of her injuries, O'Dwyer expects "very substantial" damages.
Perez underwent two surgeries to correct the problem, including a spinal fusion last summer, just days before she attended a White House ceremony. The actress attended the event in a wheelchair and neck brace.
"She's still suffering severe pain, numbness of the arms, and she'll never be the same despite the surgery," said O'Dwyer, who added that the injuries Perez sustained on the 'Law & Order' set resulted in her loss of work for nearly a year.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Sharknado 2: Ian Ziering, Jason Priestley, Other Stars React With Hilarious Tweets
- Guardians of the Galaxy Review: Chris Pratt's Sci-Fi Is "Strictly B-List"
- Kate Hudson: Four Feathers Costar Heath Ledger Was My Favorite Onscreen Kiss
- Drew & Jessica Barrymore's Brother John Says Sister Likely Died Of Toxic Drug-Alcohol Combo, Compares Her End To That Of Heath Ledger
- Gun-Toting Judge Greg Mathis Was Arrested As A Teenager
- Kelsey Grammer forgives sister's murderer but speaks out against his release
- Drew Barrymore speaks out after half-sister found dead
- Justin Bieber posts pic of Orlando Bloom crying
- Miss Teen USA 2014 Contestants Sizzle in Their Bikinis—See the Pics!
- Drake Bell, Alyssa Milano and James Franco Takes Sides in Orlando Bloom and Justin Bieber's Fight
- Shonda Rhimes Won't Even Give Spoilers to Kerry Washington, Ellen Pompeo or Viola Davis in This Epic New Promo!