Rosie Perez to Sue Over 'Law & Order: SVU' Injuries
By Kelly Fisher Posted May 19th 2011 06:55AM
According to the NY Daily News, Perez was filming a guest role on the hit New York City-based crime drama in September 2009 when a scene called for an extra to forcibly shake her. The violent action caused Perez to suffer a herniated disc which took two surgeries to correct.
"The thing to do was taking someone who knows what he's doing to make it look violent without being violent," said Perez's lawyer Brian O'Dwyer, who filed a lawsuit Wednesday in the Brooklyn Supreme Court. "This person was not a stuntman, he was just an extra."
Perez continued to work on the episode, titled 'Hardwired,' which O'Dwyer said likely caused her injuries to worsen.
"There was pressure on her to continue and finish up the episode and she did," he said.
The lawsuit doesn't mention a specific dollar amount the 'Pineapple Express' actress hopes to get from the lawsuit, but given the severity of her injuries, O'Dwyer expects "very substantial" damages.
Perez underwent two surgeries to correct the problem, including a spinal fusion last summer, just days before she attended a White House ceremony. The actress attended the event in a wheelchair and neck brace.
"She's still suffering severe pain, numbness of the arms, and she'll never be the same despite the surgery," said O'Dwyer, who added that the injuries Perez sustained on the 'Law & Order' set resulted in her loss of work for nearly a year.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- The Bachelor Season 19, Episode 4 Recap: One Girl Gets the Cinderella Treatment, While the Rest Get Down and Dirty
- Selma Director Ava DuVernay, Star David Oyelowo to Create Hurricane Katrina Drama
- Jamal Woolard, Federico Castelluccio Rally to Support Troubled Adolescents for Premiere of Short Film "Boys of Bate"
- Miley Cyrus: I thought Grammy nomination was a joke
- Unrelated celebrity twins
- Emma Watson to star in live-action 'Beauty and the Beast'
- Kim Kardashian's T-Mobile Super Bowl Commercial Hits the Internet—Watch Now!
- Bill Cosby Sexual Assault Allegations Continue: Former Hollywood Executive Says Comedian Took Advantage of Her 36 Years Ago
- Mission: Impossible 5 Release Date Moved Up: Find Out When You Can See Tom Cruise's Next Film!