Rosie Perez to Sue Over 'Law & Order: SVU' Injuries
By Kelly Fisher Posted May 19th 2011 06:55AM
According to the NY Daily News, Perez was filming a guest role on the hit New York City-based crime drama in September 2009 when a scene called for an extra to forcibly shake her. The violent action caused Perez to suffer a herniated disc which took two surgeries to correct.
"The thing to do was taking someone who knows what he's doing to make it look violent without being violent," said Perez's lawyer Brian O'Dwyer, who filed a lawsuit Wednesday in the Brooklyn Supreme Court. "This person was not a stuntman, he was just an extra."
Perez continued to work on the episode, titled 'Hardwired,' which O'Dwyer said likely caused her injuries to worsen.
"There was pressure on her to continue and finish up the episode and she did," he said.
The lawsuit doesn't mention a specific dollar amount the 'Pineapple Express' actress hopes to get from the lawsuit, but given the severity of her injuries, O'Dwyer expects "very substantial" damages.
Perez underwent two surgeries to correct the problem, including a spinal fusion last summer, just days before she attended a White House ceremony. The actress attended the event in a wheelchair and neck brace.
"She's still suffering severe pain, numbness of the arms, and she'll never be the same despite the surgery," said O'Dwyer, who added that the injuries Perez sustained on the 'Law & Order' set resulted in her loss of work for nearly a year.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kristen Bell Gives Birth, Welcomes Second Baby Girl With Dax Shepard: See Her Name!
- Sony CEO Michael Lynton Defends The Interview Decision: "We Have Not Backed Down"
- Lance Bass' Wedding Location Revealed! 'N Sync Singer to Marry Michael Turchin
- Sony defends decision to shelve release of 'The Interview,' saying studio 'had no choice'
- 14 movies that may not have made it to theaters today
- Hackers praise Sony for 'The Interview' cancellation, make new threats
- This Guy Is Casually Hanging Out With Nicki Minaj's Naked Booty (Sorta)—See the Funny Pic!
- Kris Jenner Talks Finalizing Bruce Jenner Divorce—Plus, Will They Still Celebrate Christmas Together? Watch Now!
- Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard Welcome Another Baby Girl, Their Second Child Together—Check Out Her Name!