'Titanic' to be Re-Released in 3D to Commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the Ship Setting Sail
By John Mitchell Posted May 19th 2011 09:35AM
In honor of the 100th anniversary of the Titanic's doomed maiden voyage, Paramount Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox are re-releasing James Cameron's 1997 Oscar winner 'Titanic' on April 6, 2012. But that's not all! This time around, when Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet set sail, they'll be in 3D.
In a statement, Cameron said, "There's a whole generation that's never seen 'Titanic' as it was meant to be seen, on the big screen. And this will be 'Titanic' as you've never seen it before, digitally re-mastered at 4K and painstakingly converted to 3D. With the emotional power intact and the images more powerful than ever, this will be an epic experience for fans and newcomers alike."
Paramount will also be celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2012. "Paramount has had the pleasure of introducing audiences to some of the all-time classics of cinema during that century of moviemaking and we cannot think of a better way to mark the occasion than with this re-release of 'Titanic'," Brad Grey, chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures, said.
'Titanic' is the second highest-grossing film of all time. The film pulled in over $600 million in the U.S. and $1.2 billion overseas. Only 'Avatar,' also directed by Cameron, has earned more money in theaters, grossing $750 million domestically for a combined worldwide gross of nearly $2.8 billion.
Fall in love with Rose and Jack all over again by checking out the 'Titanic' trailer below:
Are you excited to see 'Titanic' hit the high seas again? Let us know in the comments.
MORE ABOUT Leonardo DiCaprio
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Leonardo DiCaprio Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Teen Mom 2' star Jenelle Evans is wanted in Fla.
- Radio host in trouble for killing rabbit on air
- '19 Kids and Counting' scandal: Walgreens, Payless and Choice Hotels pull ads
- HBO Adapting T.J. Miller's Alien Puppet Talk Show 'Gorburger'
- Paramount Home Media, IFC Films Strike Distribution Deal (Exclusive)
- IFC Films/Sundance Selects Promotes Trio
- Tilda Swinton May Star in 'Doctor Strange' Opposite Benedict Cumberbatch
- Val Chmerkovskiy Chats 'DWTS' Win While Teaching Us Some Moves
- Tobey Maguire Cracks Up as Bobby Fischer in 'Pawn Sacrifice' Trailer