'Titanic' to be Re-Released in 3D to Commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the Ship Setting Sail
By John Mitchell Posted May 19th 2011 09:35AM
In honor of the 100th anniversary of the Titanic's doomed maiden voyage, Paramount Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox are re-releasing James Cameron's 1997 Oscar winner 'Titanic' on April 6, 2012. But that's not all! This time around, when Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet set sail, they'll be in 3D.
In a statement, Cameron said, "There's a whole generation that's never seen 'Titanic' as it was meant to be seen, on the big screen. And this will be 'Titanic' as you've never seen it before, digitally re-mastered at 4K and painstakingly converted to 3D. With the emotional power intact and the images more powerful than ever, this will be an epic experience for fans and newcomers alike."
Paramount will also be celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2012. "Paramount has had the pleasure of introducing audiences to some of the all-time classics of cinema during that century of moviemaking and we cannot think of a better way to mark the occasion than with this re-release of 'Titanic'," Brad Grey, chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures, said.
'Titanic' is the second highest-grossing film of all time. The film pulled in over $600 million in the U.S. and $1.2 billion overseas. Only 'Avatar,' also directed by Cameron, has earned more money in theaters, grossing $750 million domestically for a combined worldwide gross of nearly $2.8 billion.
Fall in love with Rose and Jack all over again by checking out the 'Titanic' trailer below:
Are you excited to see 'Titanic' hit the high seas again? Let us know in the comments.
MORE ABOUT Leonardo DiCaprio
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Leonardo DiCaprio Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Khloe Kardashian filing for divorce from Lamar Odom, reports say
- 'American Hustle' review: Actors take 70s stereotypes and run with them in entertaining sting flick
- Plastic surgeon dad goes to work on daughters' breasts, faces
- Kelly Clarkson Lands Role in 'Nashville' Episode
- 'Once Upon a Time': Robbie Kay on Peter Pan's Evil Storybrooke Plan and Repercussions
- Inside Capitol Records' Newly Redesigned Digs (Exclusive)
- ?Spider-Man' spins off: 20 thoughts on ?Venom,' ?The Sinister Six,' and Sony's franchise gambit
- Relive 2013 through the year's top Instagram moments and trends
- Late Night Highlight: David Letterman makes Julia Roberts cry (in a good way) ? VIDEO
- Ridley Scott Is Plotting a 'Murder on the Orient Express' Remake
- Hollywood Is Planning a 'Naked Gun' Reboot, Starring Ed Helms
- Sony Plots Ambitious Spider-Man-Based Universe