Did 'Glee' Steal Cover from College Choir?
"Sources within a cappella circles with ties to [University of Oregon choir] Divisi have confirmed to me that the show did not have the full cooperation from the group and original arranger," reports Alex Rabinowitz at Pop Culture Brain. "'Glee' had reached out to the group and were working on a deal only for it to fall apart at the last minute, with 'Glee' going ahead and doing their version of the song anyway."
'Glee' has notably worked with the Tufts Beelzebubs before, without incident.
Pop Culture Brain dubs the similarities in the two a capella arrangements of 'Yeah!' "eerily similar." The site goes on to write:
PopEater is awaiting comment from FOX.
"Glee strolls a fine line between honoring music and bastardizing it. The a cappella community is a tight-knit, but not often heard subculture that has benefited greatly from its recent exposure on shows like 'Glee' and 'The Sing Off.' Hopefully network television and a cappella can continue to work together for the betterment of both."
What do you think? Listen to the songs here and tell us if you think foul play is afoot, or if covering something a capella is just bound to sound this similar.
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Dina Manzo Has Never Met Autistic Nephew, Still Estranged from Sister Caroline: Real Housewives of New Jersey Reunion Preview
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Comes Out Publicly in Powerful Essay: "I'm Proud to Be Gay"
- Ashton Kutcher Talks Being a "Hero" to Baby Wyatt, Parenting With Mila Kunis
- Kris Jenner Brings Up Rob's ?Chubby Stage,' Insisting She Tried To Teach Her Kids ?How Beautiful They Are On The Inside'
- Dean McDermott ?Done With Social Media' After Nasty Spat Over Sex Shop Trip With Tori In The Hospital
- UC Berkeley overrides student group, re-invites Bill Maher to speak
- Stars' sneaky skin-showing tricks
- Jennifer Lopez: I felt 'abused' in past relationships