Did 'Glee' Steal Cover from College Choir?
"Sources within a cappella circles with ties to [University of Oregon choir] Divisi have confirmed to me that the show did not have the full cooperation from the group and original arranger," reports Alex Rabinowitz at Pop Culture Brain. "'Glee' had reached out to the group and were working on a deal only for it to fall apart at the last minute, with 'Glee' going ahead and doing their version of the song anyway."
'Glee' has notably worked with the Tufts Beelzebubs before, without incident.
Pop Culture Brain dubs the similarities in the two a capella arrangements of 'Yeah!' "eerily similar." The site goes on to write:
PopEater is awaiting comment from FOX.
"Glee strolls a fine line between honoring music and bastardizing it. The a cappella community is a tight-knit, but not often heard subculture that has benefited greatly from its recent exposure on shows like 'Glee' and 'The Sing Off.' Hopefully network television and a cappella can continue to work together for the betterment of both."
What do you think? Listen to the songs here and tell us if you think foul play is afoot, or if covering something a capella is just bound to sound this similar.
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Wendy Williams: 25 Things You Don't Know About Me
- Original Sound of Music Star Slams Carrie Underwood, Olympian Bode Miller Opens Up About "Brutal" Custody Battle for Son: Top 5 Stories
- Drew Barrymore Teases Baby's Gender With Blue and Pink Nails: See the Picture of Her Manicure
- Utah Doctor Martin MacNeill Attempts Suicide With Jail Razor After Being Convicted Of His Wife’s Murder
- Jay Z leads Grammy nominations with 9
- Actors who played real people
- Bob Dylan's Newport guitar sells in NY for $965,000
- 2014 Grammy Awards Nominations: Justin Timberlake, Daft Punk, Kendrick Lamar, Taylor Swift, Robin Thicke & Lorde Rise, but Jay Z Rules
- 2014 Grammy Awards: The Complete List of Nominees!
- Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi Create Kim Kardashian and Kanye West-Inspired Christmas Card—Take a Look!