Oprah's Last Show a 'Mystery,' but Ratings Won't Be
By Rob Shuter Posted May 23rd 2011 10:25AM
Oprah Winfrey's final show airing this Wednesday will be the biggest farewell that television has seen in nearly 20 years. The last time anyone leaving a TV show got this much attention was when Johnny Carson left 'The Tonight Show' in 1992. Ending 'Oprah' after 25 landmark years, the daytime queen is expected to break her own ratings records.
It's basically a three-day goodbye. On Monday and Tuesday the show will come to you from an arena. Oprah had nothing to do with these two shows but rather let her staff produced front-to-back, inviting some of their boss's favorite celebs to perform and say goodbye. These two shows were taped last week in Chicago from the United Center.
However, we know very little about the actual ending, which airs Wednesday. The woman who hates to be surprised is going to do just that to her legion of fans.
"Oprah wanted to keep the final show a mystery," an insider tells me. "We know almost nothing about what is going to happen. As recently as last week Oprah still hadn't decided if the show would be live or taped which seems to indicate that a huge celebrity send off is unlikely as the stars would have needed to schedule a trip to Chicago."
Of course, I'm sure that if come tomorrow a celeb gets "the call," they won't hesitate to drop everything and travel thousands of miles to be there.
One thing is certain: the whole World will be watching no matter how Oprah decides to say bye-bye. Advertisers are already clamoring to pay $1 million dollars for a 30-second spot on the broadcast. Will you be watching? Right, dumb question ... OF COURSE you'll be watching.
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bachelorette After the Final Rose Recap: Andi Dorfman's Runner-Up Confronts Her About "Making Love" to Him
- Arie Luyendyk Jr., Farmer Chris Soules Being Considered for ABC's Next Bachelor: Details
- Rob Kardashian Resurfaces While Mom Kris Jenner Cries Over His Issues; Audrina Patridge and Corey Bohan Split: Top 5 Monday Stories
- Out Of Kontrol! Teenagers Kendall & Kylie Jenner Cozy Up To Controversial Chris Brown ? Have They Gone Too Far?
- 'The Bachelorette' recap: Andi says 'Yes!' in dramatic season finale
- Kiefer Sutherland's rep responds to Freddie Prinze Jr.'s complaints about actor
- Anthony Anderson 'Eats America'
- The Bachelorette Finale: Find Out Who Wins, Who Loses It, & Who Cries – Plus, a Fantasy Suite Secret Revealed!
- Prince William and Kate Middleton Unintentionally Give the Cameras Their Best Blue Steel Face and Kill It!
- Eva Green's Controversial Sin City Outfit is Now Too Sexy For ABC