Oprah's Last Show a 'Mystery,' but Ratings Won't Be
By Rob Shuter Posted May 23rd 2011 10:25AM
Oprah Winfrey's final show airing this Wednesday will be the biggest farewell that television has seen in nearly 20 years. The last time anyone leaving a TV show got this much attention was when Johnny Carson left 'The Tonight Show' in 1992. Ending 'Oprah' after 25 landmark years, the daytime queen is expected to break her own ratings records.
It's basically a three-day goodbye. On Monday and Tuesday the show will come to you from an arena. Oprah had nothing to do with these two shows but rather let her staff produced front-to-back, inviting some of their boss's favorite celebs to perform and say goodbye. These two shows were taped last week in Chicago from the United Center.
However, we know very little about the actual ending, which airs Wednesday. The woman who hates to be surprised is going to do just that to her legion of fans.
"Oprah wanted to keep the final show a mystery," an insider tells me. "We know almost nothing about what is going to happen. As recently as last week Oprah still hadn't decided if the show would be live or taped which seems to indicate that a huge celebrity send off is unlikely as the stars would have needed to schedule a trip to Chicago."
Of course, I'm sure that if come tomorrow a celeb gets "the call," they won't hesitate to drop everything and travel thousands of miles to be there.
One thing is certain: the whole World will be watching no matter how Oprah decides to say bye-bye. Advertisers are already clamoring to pay $1 million dollars for a 30-second spot on the broadcast. Will you be watching? Right, dumb question ... OF COURSE you'll be watching.
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Mila Kunis Shows Off Growing Baby Bump, Kourtney Kardashian Wears Bootylicious Swimsuit: Top Stories
- Matt Bomer Reveals He Married Partner Simon Halls Three Years Ago
- Meryl Streep: I Thought I Was Too Ugly to Be an Actress
RadarOnline.comFEEDMore News at Radar Online Li
- Editor says Gabriel Garcia Marquez left unpublished manuscript
- Letterman welcomes successor Colbert for first time since announcing retirement
- Christian band MercyMe opens up about abuse, God and new album
- Teen Mom 2's Kailyn Lowry Talks Living in a Homeless Shelter: "I Didn't Want My Son to Be Taken Away From Me"
- Glee's Touching Tribute to Cory Monteith, Death and Deception on Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. and More OMG TV Moments!
- Chef Candice Kumai's Favorite Healthy Juice & Smoothie Recipes for Earth Day