Bob Dylan Interview Tapes Reveal Singer's Heroin Addiction
By Spinner Editors Posted May 24th 2011 12:10AM
Dylan, who turns 70 on Tuesday, May 24, speaks candidly about becoming addicted to heroin whilst living in New York, BBC News reports.
The singer confesses to his journalist friend Robert Shelton, "I kicked a heroin habit in New York City. I got very, very strung out for a while, I mean really, very strung out. And I kicked the habit. I had about a $25-a-day habit and I kicked it."
Recorded in March 1966 on board Dylan's private plane bound for Denver, Colo., Shelton describes the interview as a "kaleidoscopic monologue" and the interviewee as "twisting restlessly" throughout the flight.
Elsewhere on the tapes, the singer talks about how suicidal thoughts entered his thinking after being labelled a 'genius'. He says, "Death to me is nothing ... death to me means nothing as long as I can die fast. Many times I've known I could have been able to die fast, and I could have easily gone over and done it. I'll admit to having this suicidal thing ... but I came through this time."
Returning to the subject later in the interview, Dylan concludes, "I'm not the kind of cat that's going to cut off an ear if I can't do something. I'm the kind of cat that would just commit suicide. I'd shoot myself in the brain if things got bad. I'd jump from a window ... man, I would shoot myself. You know I can think about death, man, openly."
The tapes, which also include an interview once the pair arrived in Denver, are the subject of a film currently in production.
Get more at Spinner >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Olivia Wilde talks post-baby body: 'I am not in perfect shape'
- Paula Patton on 'becoming an adult' after Robin Thicke split
- Singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell hospitalized in Los Angeles
- Report: Legendary Singer Joni Mitchell Rushed to Hospital After 911 Call
- Exclusive! Joe Giudice Describes Teresa's Life in Prison and More
- Go Gold! Get Rumer Willis' ?Dancing with the Stars' Sexy Samba Beauty Look!
- The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Reunion Recap: Lisa Vanderpump, Brandi Glanville Butt Heads in Part 1
- Behati Prinsloo Suffers Wardrobe Malfunction, Flashes Her Bare Butt ? See the Photo!
- Tracy Morgan Still Using Cane to Walk Almost Year After Tragic Car Accident ? See the Recent Pic