'American Idol' Winner: 'I'm on Top of the World!'
By AOL TV Editors Posted May 26th 2011 09:01AM
McCreery told 'Entertainment Weekly' that "[It] feels absolutely amazing. I mean, I'm on top of the world right now. It's just a moment I'll never forget."
The 17-year-old said that while he had allowed himself to dream of winning the title, he'd managed to push those thoughts to one side and concentrate instead on the competition.
"You've got to control that. You've got to focus on what's ahead and focus on the song you're singing that week. Luckily, it's gotten me here."
McCreery faced off against his "close friend" and fellow country singer Lauren Alaina for the title, and he was crowned after a record-breaking 122 million public votes were tallied. Alaina may have captured judge Jennifer Lopez's vote with her performance the night before, but she couldn't match McCreery's huge fan base.
So what's next for McCreery? "I'm looking forward to getting out there on tour with 'American Idol Live' tour, and I'm really looking forward to getting my album out there, recording some songs, and getting my music out to the fans quick as possible."
But first, famous or not, he's still got some prior commitments from his old life: "I'm still in school! I've got a test to take on Friday for English. I'm still 17. Still a high school student."
See more at AOL TV.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Melissa McCarthy to launch clothing line for all sizes
- Ariana Grande responds to Bette Midler: 'Always a fan no matter what'
- 8 things you didn't know about Miranda Lambert
- The best Black Friday deals for videogames, movies, more
- Jim Parsons talks theater and the ?charming' ?Merton of the Movies'
- Eva Mendes Opens Up About the Meaning Behind Her Daughter's Name
- 'The Voice' Recap! Who's In and Who's Out
- Laura Dern Hopes ?Jurassic World' Continues to Reinvent That ?Jurassic' Experience
- Scott Disick Argues With Kourtney Kardashian Over Her Need for Space: "We Haven't Slept Together in Five Years"
- Ashley Benson Cleans Out Her Closet to Make Room for Everything on Her Holiday Wish List: Shop Her Style Must-Haves!
- Donald Faison Snuggles With Look-Alike Son Rocco, 15 Months: Sweet Photo