'American Idol' Winner: 'I'm on Top of the World!'
By AOL TV Editors Posted May 26th 2011 09:01AM
McCreery told 'Entertainment Weekly' that "[It] feels absolutely amazing. I mean, I'm on top of the world right now. It's just a moment I'll never forget."
The 17-year-old said that while he had allowed himself to dream of winning the title, he'd managed to push those thoughts to one side and concentrate instead on the competition.
"You've got to control that. You've got to focus on what's ahead and focus on the song you're singing that week. Luckily, it's gotten me here."
McCreery faced off against his "close friend" and fellow country singer Lauren Alaina for the title, and he was crowned after a record-breaking 122 million public votes were tallied. Alaina may have captured judge Jennifer Lopez's vote with her performance the night before, but she couldn't match McCreery's huge fan base.
So what's next for McCreery? "I'm looking forward to getting out there on tour with 'American Idol Live' tour, and I'm really looking forward to getting my album out there, recording some songs, and getting my music out to the fans quick as possible."
But first, famous or not, he's still got some prior commitments from his old life: "I'm still in school! I've got a test to take on Friday for English. I'm still 17. Still a high school student."
See more at AOL TV.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ferguson shooting: Hip-hop moves as strong force for Michael Brown
- Comedian Tracy Morgan still struggling after crash
- Joan Rivers' condition 'remains serious,' daughter says
- Watch! 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Shay Mitchell Gets a Hair Makeover
- Police Raid Home of '50 Shades' Director and 'Kick Ass 2' Star over Machine Gun
- See First Pic of Angelina Jolie Since Wedding News
- Angelina Jolie Steps Out After Wedding, Melissa Rivers on Joan Rivers: Top 5 Friday Stories
- Bill Murray Tears Tickets at St. Paul Saints Independent League Baseball Game, Catches First Pitch: Watch!
- Jimmy Kimmel: Jennifer Aniston Wasn't Mad About Friends Reunion, That's Acting