Why Did Cheryl Cole Get Booted From U.S. 'X Factor'?
By Elizabeth Yun Posted May 26th 2011 02:56PM
Cole rose to fame when she won a competition to become a member of the popular British girl group Girls Aloud in 2002. She signed on to become a permanent judge on Simon Cowell's 'X Factor' in 2008, replacing Sharon Osbourne. The adorable starlet became an instant fan favorite, which also propelled her new solo career. Two years later, when she went through a very public divorce from her soccer star husband, Ashley Cole, in the midst of a cheating scandal, it only made fans love her more.
But her popularity didn't immediately translate when Cowell confirmed her as his first choice to judge the stateside version of his wildly popular show. The general consensus was "Cheryl who?" but Cowell stood by his choice, convinced she'd win over fans on this side of the pond as well.
FOX, which will begin to air the series this fall, apparently didn't agree. Reports emerged yesterday that Cole, who quit the U.K. gig to focus on its U.S. counterpart, was getting the boot -- reports that were confirmed today. And now everyone is speculating as to what caused the shake-up.
The juiciest rumor to emerge is the obligatory "feuding divas" shtick. Media outlets are reporting that Cole and fellow judge Paula Abdul (Cowell's former 'American Idol' judging nemesis) just didn't have any "chemistry." However, the two seemed to be getting along swimmingly when Abdul posted a photo of her and Cole on Twitter in early May and called her "lovely."
But other reports paint a much simpler picture. FOX was concerned that her thick Geordie accent would just be too darn confusing for American audiences. Cole, who hails from Newcastle in northeastern England, actually endeared herself to Brits with her Geordie inflection. Upon hearing news of her ouster, comedian Russell Brand poked fun at the star exclaiming, "Our Cheryl? That cannae be right!" He added that she is "Britain's sweetheart."
Unfortunately, Cole won't have an opportunity to become America's next sweetheart as well.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Billy Joel set to break Madison Square Garden record
- Duggar fans create counter-petition to save '19 Kids & Counting'
- Vogue's new digs are reportedly swarming with rats
- You can now buy the original ?Wizard of Oz' Cowardly Lion costume ? if you're a millionaire
- This Week on Stage: Hugh Jackman, Glenn Close and ?Side Show' storm Broadway's busiest fall week
- Your guide to this weekend's holiday TV movies
- Fantastic Eye Makeup Tips from Alexis Vogel!
- Rumor Bust! Kim Kardashian Did NOT Remove Ribs for Hourglass Figure
- Brittny Gastineau Freezes Her Fat Off? Find Out How!