Disney Withdraws 'SEAL Team 6' Trademark Bid
By Kelly Fisher Posted May 26th 2011 07:46AM
According to E! Online, Disney wanted to trademark the team's name to use in a future war-based television series, and turned in the necessary paperwork just two days after the mission. However, it turns out the Navy wasn't too happy with Disney's plans.
According to the Wall Street Journal, the Navy responded to Disney's actions by filing their own trademark paper for the terms 'SEAL Team' and 'Navy SEALs' on May 13 in order to protect itself.
The Navy claimed in the filing that the phrases denote "membership in an organization of the Department of the Navy that develops and executes military missions involving special operations strategy, doctrine, and tactics."
Disney officials said they withdrew their trademark paperwork in deference to the Navy.
"We are fully committed to protecting our trademark rights," Commander Danny Hernandez, the chief Navy spokesman, said in statement on Wednesday.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Taylor Swift, Calvin Harris Get Ready for Rhode Island July 4 Party: See the Photo
- Tracy Morgan Celebrates Daughter Maven's Second Birthday With Trip to Disney World -- Photo
- Josh Hartnett is Going to be a Dad, Girlfriend Tamsin Egerton is Expecting a Baby
- 19 Fourth of July flicks
- Matt Damon shows off ponytail
- Robin Thicke 'embarrassed' by attempts to get Paula Patton back
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Head to the Bahamas With Their Kids in Wake of Divorce News
- Sean "Diddy" Combs Won't Face Felony Charges for Alleged Kettlebell Attack—but Case Isn't Closed Yet
- Homeless Man Finds $2,400 and Returns the Money, Then Wants to Donate His Reward: Get the Whole, Inspiring Story