Disney Withdraws 'SEAL Team 6' Trademark Bid
By Kelly Fisher Posted May 26th 2011 07:46AM
According to E! Online, Disney wanted to trademark the team's name to use in a future war-based television series, and turned in the necessary paperwork just two days after the mission. However, it turns out the Navy wasn't too happy with Disney's plans.
According to the Wall Street Journal, the Navy responded to Disney's actions by filing their own trademark paper for the terms 'SEAL Team' and 'Navy SEALs' on May 13 in order to protect itself.
The Navy claimed in the filing that the phrases denote "membership in an organization of the Department of the Navy that develops and executes military missions involving special operations strategy, doctrine, and tactics."
Disney officials said they withdrew their trademark paperwork in deference to the Navy.
"We are fully committed to protecting our trademark rights," Commander Danny Hernandez, the chief Navy spokesman, said in statement on Wednesday.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Man Accidentally Sends Naked Selfies to HR, Obviously Doesn't Land the Job
- Azealia Banks Blasts Both Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus in VMAs Feud: "Contest of the Basics"
- Pregnant Kim Kardashian Wears the Same Shimmering Sweater Halter Dress Twice in Two Weeks: See Her Recycled Maternity Style!
- Janice Dickinson collapses on 'Celebrity Big Brother UK'
- Will ‘Bachelor' contestant Ashley Iaconetti really lose virginity on national TV?
- Director fires back after critics call out Taylor Swift's video for use of white actors
- Diane Kruger & Elizabeth Banks Just Won the 2015 Venice Film Festival Red Carpet—See Their Breathtaking Gowns!
- Lupita Nyong'o Steps Out With a Full Head of Braids—See Her Easy End-of-Summer Hairstyle!
- Let's Check In on the Doctor Who Fanbase to See How They're Handling the Return of River Song