Lauren Alaina on 'Idol, Meeting Carrie Underwood and Being a Role Model
By AOL TV Editors Posted May 26th 2011 10:00PM
"The show must go on, always," said the Georgia native. "The doctor came in and he took really good care of me and he got my voice as good as he could so I just had to go out there and do the best that I could," said Lauren.
While there was a lot of talk among both fans and 'Idol's trio of judges about the teen's wavering confidence, at last night's finale, it was clear Lauren's come out of her 'American Idol' experience a stronger person.
"I had a lot of confidence before the show but once seeing myself on TV and being like my worst critic, it threw me back a couple notches. But I feel like that was a good thing. I needed to realize that there's always something you can work on about yourself and the things I didn't like about myself I worked on the whole time I was on the show and really tried to improve myself. I feel like since there were so many people watching and I could see the outcomes and stuff, it was really helpful for me to grow as a person and an artist."
One criticism both Lauren and Scotty faced had to do with their ages. Asked if she wished she'd waited until she was a bit older to try out for 'American Idol,' Lauren has no regrets.
"No, I feel like people misjudge young people because they think that they're not ready. But I feel like if something's your dream and you know what you want, you should go for it."
One of Lauren's dreams was meeting and performing with her personal idol, season 4 winner, Carrie Underwood. Now that she's achieved 'Idol' stardom herself, Lauren talked about being a role model.
"I'm a huge country music fan and there are so any girls that I look up to, especially Carrie Underwood, everyone knows that, I've shouted that one out loud for a while now. And I met her and talking with her, I could tell that she genuinely cared that I was there. She actually invited me back after the party last night for all the contestants after the show. She invited me back to her area and let me sit with her and talk with her and it was amazing to see that someone I had looked up to for so long was actually the person I thought they were. And I want little girls and girls my age to feel that way when they meet me, to know that I'm actually the way I'm portrayed on TV. I'm not fake and I don't want to mislead people as to who I am. I cut up, I make jokes a lot but I'm serious too. I cry a lot. It's just who I am. I want to stay true to who I am."
Speaking of staying true to herself, why did Lauren choose not to use her last name, "Suddeth," on 'Idol?'
"I chose not to use "Suddeth" because people never pronounce it right and I knew Ryan Seacrest would have a terrible time trying to say my last name so I just chose "Alaina" because it's easier and it rolls off the tongue easier. But I will always be Lauren Suddeth."
Get more at Aol TV >>>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Lauren Conrad, William Tell Look Perfect In First Wedding Photo; Avril Lavigne, Chad Kroeger Headed For a Split
- Joe Manganiello Is Ridiculously Buff -- See His Impressive Gym Picture!
- Gerard Depardieu Says He Drinks Up To 14 Bottles of Wine a Day!
- Inside Jenelle Evans’ Major Delivery Room Drama
- Kim Zolciak Shows Off The Results Of Her Boob Job And Tummy Tuck
- Oscar-Worthy Actresses! Rosie O'Donnell And Whoopi Goldberg Given ?Lecture’ To Act Like ?Best Friends' On ?The View' PLUS Another Whoopi Slip Of The Tongue ?Pisses Off' ABC Execs
- Alanis Morissette said fame caused her to have PTSD
- Liza Minnelli recovering after surgery
- 'Fight Church:' Does modern Christianity feminize guys?
- America's Got Talent Finally Crowned a [Spoiler] – Find Out Who Won Season 9!
- Meghan Trainor Performs Acoustic Cover of Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off" and It's Pretty Awesome—Watch Now!
- These New Star Wars: Episode VII Photos Could Reveal Adam Driver's Actual Role—Take a Look!