'Glee' Star Lea Michele Fights to Save Chimps
Michele has teamed up with the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine to implore the government to place the chimps, known as the San Antonio 14, in a primate sanctuary where they can live out their days as chimps were meant to-picking live off each other and learning sign language.
Read Lea's message after the jump.
In a letter to the NIH, Michele writes:
To read the full letter, head over to Tonic.com >>
"Cammy, one of the 14 chimpanzees moved to this Texas lab, was taken from her mom the days she was born. She was first traumatically sedated with powerful chemicals when she was 6 months old, according to medical records. Since then, she's been "chemically immobilized" more than 100 times. Cammy and her 13 companions have been infected with hepatitis C and subjected to liver biopsies and many other traumatic procedures.
I'll never understand why the government decided to put Cammy and these 13 other retired chimpanzees back into a lab. Chimpanzee experimentation raises some obvious ethical issues, and there are also clear scientific problems. That's why most countries around the world no longer permit harmful research on chimpanzees."
MORE ABOUT Lea Michele
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Lea Michele Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amy Duggar Confirms Family Secret on Instagram: Jim Bob's Niece Was Born Out of Wedlock
- Taylor Swift Puts Her Bikini Body, Belly Button on Display on Yacht: See More of the Star on Vacation in Hawaii
- Eli Manning's Wife Abby Gives Birth to Third Daughter -- Find Out Her Name Here!
- 2015 ACM Awards nominations: Surprises and snubs
- Rap mogul Suge Knight charged with murder
- Appeals court rejects bid by Michael Jackson's mother for new trial in suit against promoter
- Best Looks of the Week: Felicity Jones' Glittery Valentino Gown, Jennifer Lawrence's Plunging Prada Dress & More!
- Jimmy Fallon Admits Dad ''Heckled'' Him During First Tonight Show, Gets Pranked by Ellen DeGeneres: Watch!
- Macklemore Cradles Fiancée's Baby Bump, Gazes Lovingly at Bride-to-Be—See the Sweet Pic!