Sandra Bernhard Takes a Shot at Kathy Griffin and Talks Arnold Encounter
By Rob Shuter Posted May 27th 2011 10:20PM
"In the '70s when I moved to LA I was on the beach by Gold's Gym. I was young skinny as a stick, staring at the ocean, dreaming of the future, and Arnold came up to me and he was hitting on me," Sandra told me at a taping of 'Naughty But Nice with Rob.' "I don't date Germans so nothing happened. But I love Maria Shriver. All these years it's been, what is she thinking? It's the Kennedy tragedy. Just to keep it going."
(FYI, Arnold is Austrian, not German.)
Like many others, Sandra wonders why Maria never noticed what was going on right under her nose but doesn't blame the housekeeper, Mildred Baena.
"I think she's a lovely person," she says.
On the subject of comedy, Sandra tells me her former boss Roseanne and the girls from 'SNL' still make her laugh, but when talking about younger comedians with similar, tell-it-like-it-is styles -- namely Chelsea Handler and Kathy Griffin -- she shows a bit more skepticism.
"I like Chelsea. She's more of a personality," Sandra explains, adding that she thinks Kathy's comedy is too "obvious" for her. "I think Kathy studied me in the early days. She borrowed a little bit. I like to keep it a little more intellectual. I just don't like to take it down to the obvious. It's not me. I was raised on sophistication."
Which might explain why she is not a big booster of Sarah Palin, telling me, "I heard she's buying a house in Arizona. Where she belongs. With the rest of the trash."
You can check out SandraBernhard.com for all her upcoming concert dates and information about her new comedy CD. For my complete interview with Sandra, tune into 'Naughty But Nice' exclusively on HDNet at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Saturday.
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Filed under:
- Celebrity Fights -
- TV News -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- Videos -
- Interviews -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter -
- Top News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Heaven King Slays the Viral Game With New "Hit the Quan" Music Video
- Scott Disick Jammed Out to Kanye West Club Music With Rod and Kimberly Stewart: Details
- Kyle Jean-Baptiste Dead: Les Miserables Broadway Actor Dies at 21
- 1st African-American actor to play Jean Valjean on Broadway dies
- ‘The Good Wife's' Christine Baranski talks Emmys, season 7 excitement
- MSNBC cuts back on Katrina coverage due to Brian Williams?
- Did The Bachelorette's Andi Dorfman Just Throw Shade at Ex Josh Murray? See for Yourself!
- Fergie and Josh Duhamel's Son Axl Is the Cutest "Little Maverick" on His Second Birthday—See the Pic!
- Amy Purdy Gets Married! Dancing With the Stars and The Amazing Race Alumna Says "I Do" to Daniel Gale