'Hobbit' Films Get Names, Release Dates
By Moviefone Editors Posted May 31st 2011 07:45AM
The first of the two films will be called 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' and the second 'The Hobbit: There and Back Again.' The first references one of the book's chapter headings, the second is actually part of author J.R. R. Tolkien's original title, 'The Hobbit or There and Back Again.' (We're betting movie marquees will still opt for the simpler '1' and '2.')
And now fans have official release dates to circle on their calendars: 'Journey' arrives as an early Christmas present on December 14, 2012 and its follow-up also has a holiday release, December 13, 2013.
The 'Lord of the Rings' prequels are currently filming in New Zealand, with frequent set updates from director Peter Jackson via Facebook. He recently posted that Orlando Bloom will be the latest 'Rings' actor to make an appearance, joining familiar faces Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood and Andy Serkis.
Martin Freeman has the lead role of the young Bilbo (the hobbit of the title, of course) with Iam Holm reprising his 'Rings' role of the elder Bilbo.
Tolkien fans, do you approve of the official film titles?
See more at Moviefone.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Horror master Wes Craven dead at 76
- Kanye West rants at VMAs: I have decided to 'run for president'
- Nicki Minaj calls out Miley Cyrus at VMAs
- Minions Climb China's Great Wall Ahead of Release
- MTV Airs Miley Cyrus' Nipple During VMAs
- VMAs 2015: 10 Reasons Why We Think Justin Bieber Really Cried
Access HollywoodFEEDMore From Access Hollywood Li
- Here Are the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards Winners
- 2015 MTV Video Music Awards Red Carpet Arrivals
- Weekend Box Office: 'Compton' Rules Again, 'War Room' Surprises