'Hobbit' Films Get Names, Release Dates
By Moviefone Editors Posted May 31st 2011 07:45AM
The first of the two films will be called 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' and the second 'The Hobbit: There and Back Again.' The first references one of the book's chapter headings, the second is actually part of author J.R. R. Tolkien's original title, 'The Hobbit or There and Back Again.' (We're betting movie marquees will still opt for the simpler '1' and '2.')
And now fans have official release dates to circle on their calendars: 'Journey' arrives as an early Christmas present on December 14, 2012 and its follow-up also has a holiday release, December 13, 2013.
The 'Lord of the Rings' prequels are currently filming in New Zealand, with frequent set updates from director Peter Jackson via Facebook. He recently posted that Orlando Bloom will be the latest 'Rings' actor to make an appearance, joining familiar faces Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood and Andy Serkis.
Martin Freeman has the lead role of the young Bilbo (the hobbit of the title, of course) with Iam Holm reprising his 'Rings' role of the elder Bilbo.
Tolkien fans, do you approve of the official film titles?
See more at Moviefone.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bobby Flay reportedly spotted mingling with younger women amid divorce
- Bill Cosby defender Jill Scott says she was wrong; Judd Apatow calls on Phylicia Rashad to speak up
- When stars show too much
- Comedy Central's '@Midnight' Renewed for Third Season
- 'Late Late Show's' James Corden to Host TCA Awards
- Subway Pitchman Jared Fogle's Home Raided in Connection With Child Porn Investigation
Access HollywoodFEEDMore From Access Hollywood Li
- Can You Recognize the Movie by a One-Word Clue?
- 'Ocean's Eleven' and 'Karate Kid' Producer Jerry Weintraub Dead at 77
- Ethan Embry's 5 Favorite Westerns