'View' Source: Barbara Walters Would Take Meredith Vieira Back
By Rob Shuter Posted Jun 2nd 2011 04:00PM
Come next Wednesday, the great Meredith Vieira will be saying goodbye to NBC's 'Today' show, but if Barbara Walters has her way we might be seeing Meredith back on TV very soon.
"Barbara adores Meredith and would welcome her back on 'The View' in a second," a 'View' insider tells me. "Meredith returning home would be a great ratings boost and Barbara likes nothing better than ratings success even if it means asking one of the regular women to have a less active role."
Meredith was the talker's original moderator from its debut in 1997 until mid-2006 when it was announced she'd be taking over for Katie Couric at 'Today.'
Tired of getting up at 2:30 in the morning and wanting to spend more time with her journalist husband Richard Cohen, who has multiple sclerosis but is in good health, was the main reason Meredith decided it was time to leave. However, returning to a show like 'The View' which broadcasts live only four days a week (they record Friday's show on Thursday) would be a much easier schedule.
"Don't forget when the show started Joy Behar was part time. She wasn't on every day," a senior producer who has worked on 'The View' tells me. "Having Meredith back if only for a few days a week would make Barbara very, very happy. She never wanted her to leave in the first place."
Although for once it doesn't look like Bab's dream will come true. Meredith told me recently that she's dedicated to her NBC family ... a family she hopes to continue working with in a different position for many years to come!
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Prince William Starts Paternity Leave Early, Prince Harry Could Be in U.K. For Baby's Birth
- Kim Richards Talks Arrest on Dr Phil: "None of This Would Have Happened if I Didn't Drink"
- John Stamos Confirms Full House Reunion: Show Coming Back for 13-Episode Netflix Special
- 'Modern Family's' Julie Bowen sticks up for Sofia Vergara
- AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd pleads guilty to threatening to kill
- 'Full House' reboot on Netflix confirmed
- Lindsey Vonn Talks Dating Tiger Woods, Jokes She's a "Really Good Girlfriend" for Watching Golf—Watch Now!
- Johnny Depp and Amber Heard Seen Together for the First Time Since Their Wedding, Remain "Very Much in Love"
- What Will Royal Baby No. 2's Name Be? Vote Now!