Jason Sudeikis Proves Better Awards Host Than Gervais, Hathaway, Franco
By Jo Piazza Posted Jun 6th 2011 11:40AM
We've been assaulted with an onslaught of sub-par awards hosts in the past year. First, Ricky Gervais and his Golden Globes shtick which proved over-the-top nastiness was not the right equation for laughs, and then the awkward snoozefest that materialized when James Franco and Anne Hathaway hosted the Academy Awards.
On Sunday night 'SNL' cast member Jason Sudeikis got it just right as he hosted the MTV Movie Awards, using the proper amount of cutting humor but none of the schlocky tricks.
While Gervais swerved into the territory of nasty with quips about the show's benefactors, the Hollywood Foreign Press, and unprovoked jabs at their shiniest stars Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie, Sudeikis stuck to jokes everyone felt comfortable laughing at, including a dig at the former California Governor. "The entire balcony has been fathered by Arnold Schwarzenegger!"
Sudeikis did however perfectly play to the Twi-obsessed audience with his routine about the greatest love triangle of tween time.
"My heart says Jacob. But my wiener says Edward. My balls are indifferent," Sudeikis deadpanned, getting laughs from 'Twilight' cast members in attendance.
Sudeikis also nailed the perfect tone with his self-deprecation (unlike Gervais who simply made the crowd uncomfortable) with his schtick that he "might be a dad soon" (referring to the still-unknown January Jones paternity issue) and his qualifications for even being a host: "I feel qualified to host the Movie Awards because I starred in the major motion picture 'Hall Pass,' which was the highest-grossing movie in America on Feb. 26 from 1 to 4 p.m."
Overall Sudeikis hit the right notes without trying too hard and let the guests and the winners make fools of themselves (Robert Pattinson) and gin up controversy (Reese Witherspoon with her diatribe against sex tapes and reality stars).
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Dakota Johnson Goes Back to Blonde, Trades in Fifty Shades of Grey Innocence for Gritty Drama Cymbeline: Watch the Trailer!
- Alicia Keys Shares Stunning Family Photo With Swizz Beatz, New Baby Genesis
- Elizabeth Berkley Gushes About "Emotional" Saved by the Bell Reunion: Watch
- Jennifer Lawrence reportedly has meltdown on set of David O. Russell movie
- Rosie O'Donnell files for divorce from wife Michelle Rounds
- Biopic of martial arts legend Bruce Lee springs into action
- Even Kate Upton Needs a Touch-Up! Model Steps Out Makeup-Free, Reveals Blotchy Skin
- Amber Rose's Butt Comes Up in Manslaughter Trial: Defendant Claims She Gave Amber Injections!
- Robert De Niro Didn't Mean to Not Pay $6.4 Million in Taxes—the IRS Just Mixed Up His Address!