With Tears, Meredith Vieira Says Goodbye to 'TODAY'
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 8th 2011 09:55AM
Meredith Vieira signed off from 'TODAY' for the last time Wednesday morning after five years on the job. The co-host of the NBC program decided in April to leave the show, passing the baton to colleague Anne Curry. "It's tough. It's a hard one. Very mixed emotions. I'm looking at everybody right here and wishing I ... no, I know it's right, but it's hard," Vieira said at the top of her last show.
"It's been a privilege working with you over these past five years," Lauer said. "And I know the folks at home have enjoyed starting their day with you as well. It has been a great ride."
Becoming emotional, Vieira spoke about the "power of this show to really reach people and it's such a blessing to have had that ability. I'm so honored to have sat with all of you."
Quick with the wit, she added, "Most of you."
Meredith couldn't hold back the tears -- who could -- when Lauer brought out songwriting legend Carole King to perform a stirring version of 'You've Got a Friend.' She sang along with her 'TODAY' cohorts with the lines, "Winter, spring, summer or fall. All you have to do is call. And I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah. You've got a friend."
She made the official announcement of her departure last month after rumors that she planned to leave the show popped up in April.
"After months of personal reflection and private conversations between my family and my friends, I've decided to leave 'Today,' in June," she said, sitting a couch next to Curry, Matt Lauer and Al Roker.
On Tuesday, fourth hour hosts Hoda Kotb and Kathie Lee Gifford cracked wise about Meredith's long goodbye. "It seems like we've been saying goodbye to Meredith forever ... When is the woman leaving?" she joked, before adding, "None of us are happy about it. We're broken-hearted."
Vieira has hosted NBC's 'Today' for the past five years with Lauer, taking over for Katie Couric when she decided to the leave the show in 2006. Before taking on the early morning role, Vieira was the original moderator on 'The View.'
As co-host of the popular show, Vieira has had her fair share of interesting experiences -- all caught on camera for the world to see. 'The Today Show' has been replaying some of Vieira's top moments this week, leading up to today's farewell show.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bachelorette Season 10 Men Tell All Recap: Lie Detector Results Revealed as Old Fights Spark Up Again
- 5 Seconds of Summer: 5 Things to Know About the Australian Pop Band
- Rachel McAdams "Was In Awe" of Lindsay Lohan on Mean Girls Set and "Learned So Much" From Philip Seymour Hoffman
- Girl Went Wild! Woman Who Sued Joe Francis And Won Is Looking To Collect Her Winnings ASAP!
- Diva Decisions: Madonna Refuses To Participate In Deposition In Hard Candy Lawsuit ? READ The Documents!
- More Shocking Allegations: Derek Hough Claims Pal Mark Ballas' Mom Shirley Slapped Him While Living With The Family In London As A Child
- Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson to guest-star on final season of FX's 'Sons of Anarchy'
- Best and worst celebrity beach bodies (okay mostly best)
- Stars who make us go 'eww'
- Jimmy Kimmel Shares Five Pictures of Newborn Daughter Jane and Reveals How She Got Her Name
- A Devastating Loss on The Fosters, A Mystery (Sort of) Solved on Under the Dome & More OMG TV Moments
- Fargo Season 2 Will Be Set in 1979 and Focus on Younger Version of...