With Tears, Meredith Vieira Says Goodbye to 'TODAY'
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 8th 2011 09:55AM
Meredith Vieira signed off from 'TODAY' for the last time Wednesday morning after five years on the job. The co-host of the NBC program decided in April to leave the show, passing the baton to colleague Anne Curry. "It's tough. It's a hard one. Very mixed emotions. I'm looking at everybody right here and wishing I ... no, I know it's right, but it's hard," Vieira said at the top of her last show.
"It's been a privilege working with you over these past five years," Lauer said. "And I know the folks at home have enjoyed starting their day with you as well. It has been a great ride."
Becoming emotional, Vieira spoke about the "power of this show to really reach people and it's such a blessing to have had that ability. I'm so honored to have sat with all of you."
Quick with the wit, she added, "Most of you."
Meredith couldn't hold back the tears -- who could -- when Lauer brought out songwriting legend Carole King to perform a stirring version of 'You've Got a Friend.' She sang along with her 'TODAY' cohorts with the lines, "Winter, spring, summer or fall. All you have to do is call. And I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah. You've got a friend."
She made the official announcement of her departure last month after rumors that she planned to leave the show popped up in April.
"After months of personal reflection and private conversations between my family and my friends, I've decided to leave 'Today,' in June," she said, sitting a couch next to Curry, Matt Lauer and Al Roker.
On Tuesday, fourth hour hosts Hoda Kotb and Kathie Lee Gifford cracked wise about Meredith's long goodbye. "It seems like we've been saying goodbye to Meredith forever ... When is the woman leaving?" she joked, before adding, "None of us are happy about it. We're broken-hearted."
Vieira has hosted NBC's 'Today' for the past five years with Lauer, taking over for Katie Couric when she decided to the leave the show in 2006. Before taking on the early morning role, Vieira was the original moderator on 'The View.'
As co-host of the popular show, Vieira has had her fair share of interesting experiences -- all caught on camera for the world to see. 'The Today Show' has been replaying some of Vieira's top moments this week, leading up to today's farewell show.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Drew Barrymore Writing Book of Essays on Growing Up Famous, Motherhood
- Sparkly Blackface Makeup Hits the Runway at Milan Fashion Week: See Pics of the Show
- Kim Kardashian Reaches 27 Million on Instagram, Rewards Followers With a Sexy, Semi-NSFW Booty-Baring Thong Snap
- Robert De Niro hit with $6.4 million tax lien, documents say
- Report: Robert De Niro owes $6.4 million to IRS
- UFC champ Ronda Rousey in feud with ring girl Arianny Celeste
- Elizabeth Berkley Gushes Over ''Emotional'' Saved by the Bell Reunion: ''It Was So Much Fun''
- Rob Gronkowski Is Single; New England Patriot Responds to Dating Rumors: ''Some Chicks Are Crazy''
- Of Course Kim Kardashian Had a Thong Pic Ready to Post When She Hit 27 Million Instagram Followers