Tired, Wet Fans Angry With the Black Eyed Peas
By Jo Piazza Posted Jun 10th 2011 09:00AM
It doesn't take much to anger a typical New Yorker, so imagine just how pissed the crowd of thousands were after waiting in sweltering heat for six hours -- then two more in the rain -- and then being told that the Black Eyed Peas concert in Central Park simply was not happening.
"What, Will.I.Am can't play in the rain? Is Fergie's hair gonna get wet," said Queens resident Brian Moriarty, 26, who lined up with his girlfriend at 3 p.m. hoping to get a prime general admission spot close to the stage.
The pre-show festivities with performances by Taylor Swift, Carole King and Tony Bennett were scheduled to start at 5 but were delayed due to bad weather, leaving folks like Moriarty stranded in the sopping wet heat. Gates were finally opened to concert-goers at 7:45, but once fans had finally settled into the park the police department announced they were shutting everything down due to lightning.
In a statement, the Robin Hood Foundation said: "The heat wasn't going to stop them, the rain wasn't going to stop them, but the lightning-it stopped them. It came down to safety for everyone."
They hope to reschedule soon and will be providing more information "in the next week or so" on the foundation's website.
While weather is certainly something entirely out of the Black Eyed Peas control, the canceled concert put another black mark on the band's brand following what can only be described as a disastrous performance at the Super Bowl earlier this year. The Central Park concert was a chance to redeem themselves with fans in a high profile venue. Unfortunately with no rain date on the horizon, the Peas will have to find a new venue to prove their worth.
Anti-BEP Twitter sentiment ran high Thursday night with some haters calling it an act of god.
Taboo told fans in a tweet that Fergie was really bummed about the cancellation. She was probably less bummed than the thousands who packed the streets of the Upper West Side searching for a cab in the downpour with sunburned noses, soaking shorts and nary a Peas song in their heads.
► Follow @JoPiazza on Twitter
MORE ABOUT Fergie
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Fergie Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Real Housewives' star Brandi Glanville reportedly dating 23-year-old
- Nicki Minaj doesn't understand the fuss over 'Anaconda' video
- Country music group Little Big Town put in top-notch effort on new album
- Broadway box office: Michael C. Hall's ?Hedwig' scores, but Carol Burnett can't boost ?Love Letters'
- Hannibal Buress calls Bill Cosby a ?rapist' in stand-up set
- Let's revisit Larry King's 2 a.m. Twitter rampage
- Extra Scoop: Watch Jason Momoa's Super Intense ?GoT' Audition Tape
- ?Fury' Star Shia LaBeouf ?Found God? in a Very Real Way'
- David Letterman's Ex-Cue Card Man Says ?Dave Is the Best Boss in the World'
- Shia LaBeouf Discusses Friendship With Brad Pitt: "He's Like My Husband"
- Matthew Morrison Shares Beautiful Wedding Picture With New Wife "Mrs. Renee Marie Morrison"
- Misty Upham's Father Charles Slams Auburn Police: "She Could've Been Alive, We Could've Resuscitated Her"