Erykah Badu Claims Universal Motown Folds, Execs Respond
By Boombox Editors Posted Jun 10th 2011 01:15AM
Badu tweeted "Motown folded," to her over 300,000 followers Wednesday (June 8) afternoon. Adding more credibility to her words is the fact that label head, Sylvia Rhone, stepped down from her post in late May, but sources close to the situation are refuting the singer's claim.
"They are searching for someone to bring in a senior creative role," a source told Billboard. "If it's someone that's really creative-oriented, then it might be a different title, but if they find someone creative with business qualifications, then it could be president."
Since Rhone left, general manager Pat Monaco has been running things, but the label previously announced that they have every intention of hiring a replacement. "We will soon announce important additions to the staff and will further invest in building its artist roster so Motown can continue to bring to market the highest quality music that is best positioned to succeed artistically and commercially," read a statement.
Badu, however, appears to be unfazed by Billboard's discovery, but later recanted her original tweet. "There must have been a better verb I could have used. 'folded' seems a little ...I don't know, cowardly, huh? honest mistake," she wrote.
The 40-year-old has been signed to Universal since dropping her triple platinum debut album 'Baduizm' in 1997.
Get more at The BoomBox >>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jennifer Lawrence 'screamed' when she met Kim Kardashian
- Sean Penn: I would consider a marriage to Charlize Theron my first
- Jesse Ventura refuses to see 'American Sniper,' says Chris Kyle is no hero
- Human Ken Doll 2.0! Man Pays Over $265K to Reinvent Himself with Plastic Surgery
- Bruce Jenner Spotted Pouting in Public, and New Details About His Supposed Docu-Series
- Aww! Christina Aguilera Describes Son Max's Brotherly Love for Baby Summer
- Jagged Edge's Kyle Norman Chokes Fiancee With Her Engagement Ring: "Let's Get Married" Singer Arrested for Aggravated Assault
- Disney's First Latina Princess Elena of Avalor Introduced: She's a "Confident, Compassionate Teenager"
- Comcast Sends Bill to "A-Hole Brown" When Customer Asks to Cancel Service