Erykah Badu Claims Universal Motown Folds, Execs Respond
By Boombox Editors Posted Jun 10th 2011 01:15AM
Badu tweeted "Motown folded," to her over 300,000 followers Wednesday (June 8) afternoon. Adding more credibility to her words is the fact that label head, Sylvia Rhone, stepped down from her post in late May, but sources close to the situation are refuting the singer's claim.
"They are searching for someone to bring in a senior creative role," a source told Billboard. "If it's someone that's really creative-oriented, then it might be a different title, but if they find someone creative with business qualifications, then it could be president."
Since Rhone left, general manager Pat Monaco has been running things, but the label previously announced that they have every intention of hiring a replacement. "We will soon announce important additions to the staff and will further invest in building its artist roster so Motown can continue to bring to market the highest quality music that is best positioned to succeed artistically and commercially," read a statement.
Badu, however, appears to be unfazed by Billboard's discovery, but later recanted her original tweet. "There must have been a better verb I could have used. 'folded' seems a little ...I don't know, cowardly, huh? honest mistake," she wrote.
The 40-year-old has been signed to Universal since dropping her triple platinum debut album 'Baduizm' in 1997.
Get more at The BoomBox >>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Khloe Kardashian: What happened to her face?
- ?Booger' brings back all things 'Nerd' for a whole new generation
- ?American Idol' 2014 results: The Top 12
- Miley Cyrus calls out Katy Perry on Twitter over concert kissing controversy
- ?Reign' star Torrance Coombs quotes ?The Big Lebowski,' aces our Pop Culture Personality Test
- Extra Scoop: Aaron Carter Still Pines for Hilary Duff
- Spider-Man and Batkid Head to Disneyland
- Gossip Girl: Who's That Guy Looking Up Rihanna's Skirt?
- Andrew Garfield and Batkid's Oscars Segment Drama, Khloe Kardashian Buys Justin Bieber's House: Top 5 Thursday Stories
- Prince Harry Launches Sporting Event, Invictus Games, for Injured Servicemen and Women
- Martha Stewart Gives Sex Advice, Says She Had a Prison Name in Reddit AMA