Erykah Badu Claims Universal Motown Folds, Execs Respond
By Boombox Editors Posted Jun 10th 2011 01:15AM
Badu tweeted "Motown folded," to her over 300,000 followers Wednesday (June 8) afternoon. Adding more credibility to her words is the fact that label head, Sylvia Rhone, stepped down from her post in late May, but sources close to the situation are refuting the singer's claim.
"They are searching for someone to bring in a senior creative role," a source told Billboard. "If it's someone that's really creative-oriented, then it might be a different title, but if they find someone creative with business qualifications, then it could be president."
Since Rhone left, general manager Pat Monaco has been running things, but the label previously announced that they have every intention of hiring a replacement. "We will soon announce important additions to the staff and will further invest in building its artist roster so Motown can continue to bring to market the highest quality music that is best positioned to succeed artistically and commercially," read a statement.
Badu, however, appears to be unfazed by Billboard's discovery, but later recanted her original tweet. "There must have been a better verb I could have used. 'folded' seems a little ...I don't know, cowardly, huh? honest mistake," she wrote.
The 40-year-old has been signed to Universal since dropping her triple platinum debut album 'Baduizm' in 1997.
Get more at The BoomBox >>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'X-Men' director calls sex abuse lawsuit a shakedown
- FOX411's pic of the day
- James Franco on his 'intimate' selfies: 'It's not like I'm exposing myself'
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Extra Scoop: Lindsay Lohan Dodges Sobriety Questions, Gives Pole Dancing Lesson
- Cute or Ew? 'Orange Is the New Black' Sneak Peek Reveals Piper's New Pastime in Solitary
- Clare Crawley Has a Message for ?Bachelor' Juan Pablo
- Justin Bieber Finally Allowed to Leave LAX After Being Detained
- Pregnant Mila Kunis Takes a Pilates Class, New Mom Olivia Wilde Tweets About Baby Peeing In Face: Top 5 Thursday Stories
- Jodie Foster Flashes Wedding Ring After Secretly Tying the Knot With Girlfriend Alexandra Hedison: Picture