Morrissey's Headlining Appearance Prompts Meat Ban at Belgian Festival
By Spinner Editors Posted Jun 10th 2011 02:15AM
The Lokerse Feesten, which usually offers such delicacies as horse sausages and snails, will adopt a vegetarian stance on Aug. 4 to mark the former Smiths man's first solo performance at the 10-day festival.
Organisers were no doubt keen to avoid a repeat of the scenes that made the headlines at the singer's 2009 Coachella set when the outspoken vegetarian stormed off stage after smelling cooked meat in the air.
A statement on the festival's official website reads, "The Lokerse Feesten have had their eye on Morrissey for a very long time. For this edition we finally managed to get him over and we are very pleased about this. Further to that, the addition of Morrissey to the line-up meant a welcomed catering challenge for one day."
The statement concludes, "As more and more people are introducing veggie days in their diet, we considered one meatless day out of 10 Lokerse Feesten days a healthy break for all. Our food stalls will be serving you an array of healthy vegetarian dishes."
For organizers, no gesture was too big to ensure they got their man. The festival said, "For years we dreamed of this. Many months we worked on it. For weeks we waited for an answer. Many nights were spent sleepless."
Get more at Spinner >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies after parachute accident
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Lisa Robertson reveals more family sex abuse
- FOX411's pic of the day
- ?John From Cincinnati' is not on HBO Go or Amazon Prime, and it should be
- tUnE-yArDs channels ?Pee-Wee's Playhouse' for ?Water Fountain' music video
- The Terrifying Thing Gwyneth Paltrow's Alleged Stalker Keeps Doing
- Cuba Gooding Jr.'s Wife Files for Separation
- Wedding News! Jodie Foster Marries GF Alexandra Hedison
- The Other Woman Cast Is a Modern-Day 90s Girl Group: Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, Kate Upton Coordinate Outfits
- Tori Spelling: I Thought Dean McDermott and I "Had a Very, Very Good Sex Life"
- Diane Keaton Still Friends With Woody Allen After Sex Abuse Scandal: "Nothing's Going to Change That"