Morrissey's Headlining Appearance Prompts Meat Ban at Belgian Festival
By Spinner Editors Posted Jun 10th 2011 02:15AM
The Lokerse Feesten, which usually offers such delicacies as horse sausages and snails, will adopt a vegetarian stance on Aug. 4 to mark the former Smiths man's first solo performance at the 10-day festival.
Organisers were no doubt keen to avoid a repeat of the scenes that made the headlines at the singer's 2009 Coachella set when the outspoken vegetarian stormed off stage after smelling cooked meat in the air.
A statement on the festival's official website reads, "The Lokerse Feesten have had their eye on Morrissey for a very long time. For this edition we finally managed to get him over and we are very pleased about this. Further to that, the addition of Morrissey to the line-up meant a welcomed catering challenge for one day."
The statement concludes, "As more and more people are introducing veggie days in their diet, we considered one meatless day out of 10 Lokerse Feesten days a healthy break for all. Our food stalls will be serving you an array of healthy vegetarian dishes."
For organizers, no gesture was too big to ensure they got their man. The festival said, "For years we dreamed of this. Many months we worked on it. For weeks we waited for an answer. Many nights were spent sleepless."
Get more at Spinner >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: NFL star gets tons of wedding gifts
- Helen Mirren dresses like Queen Elizabeth, grants sick child's wish to meet royality
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Is Kellie Pickler the best winner ever?
Huffington Post - EntertainmentFEED
- 'Devoured': Burmese Python Latches Onto Expert's Face
- 'MasterChef' Premiere: Brian Serves Up Roadkill
- Alyssa Milano Embarrassed By Teen Japanese Singing Career
- ?Nashville' season finale: Every kind of cliffhanger
- ?Modern Family' finale react: Moseying along
- Five ?Arrested Development' fanfiction ? aka Bluthcest ? stories you didn't know existed
- Get More Hot Deals from StyleMined.com!
- Christie Brinkley, 59, Sizzles in Swimsuit Pic
- Exclusive: Madonna on Family, Fashion and Feuds
- Kate Middleton Is Radiant in Yellow; Jennifer Aniston Reunites With Friends Costars on Ellen; Kim Kardashian Marvels at Her Pregnancy Curves: Today's Top Stories
- Alex O'Loughlin Shares First Picture of Son Lion, 6 Months
- Selena Gomez Goes Without Makeup, Shows Lighter Hair Color