Morrissey's Headlining Appearance Prompts Meat Ban at Belgian Festival
By Spinner Editors Posted Jun 10th 2011 02:15AM
The Lokerse Feesten, which usually offers such delicacies as horse sausages and snails, will adopt a vegetarian stance on Aug. 4 to mark the former Smiths man's first solo performance at the 10-day festival.
Organisers were no doubt keen to avoid a repeat of the scenes that made the headlines at the singer's 2009 Coachella set when the outspoken vegetarian stormed off stage after smelling cooked meat in the air.
A statement on the festival's official website reads, "The Lokerse Feesten have had their eye on Morrissey for a very long time. For this edition we finally managed to get him over and we are very pleased about this. Further to that, the addition of Morrissey to the line-up meant a welcomed catering challenge for one day."
The statement concludes, "As more and more people are introducing veggie days in their diet, we considered one meatless day out of 10 Lokerse Feesten days a healthy break for all. Our food stalls will be serving you an array of healthy vegetarian dishes."
For organizers, no gesture was too big to ensure they got their man. The festival said, "For years we dreamed of this. Many months we worked on it. For weeks we waited for an answer. Many nights were spent sleepless."
Get more at Spinner >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jasmine Tridevil 'flattered' her three-breasted look is a Halloween hit
- Fashion designer Oscar de la Renta dies at age 82
- 'The Big Bang Theory' recap: More money, more problems
- Broadway box office: Michael C. Hall's ?Hedwig' scores, but Carol Burnett can't boost ?Love Letters'
- Hannibal Buress calls Bill Cosby a ?rapist' in stand-up set
- Let's revisit Larry King's 2 a.m. Twitter rampage
- Designer Oscar de la Renta Dead at 82
- Extra Scoop: Watch Jason Momoa's Super Intense ?GoT' Audition Tape
- ?Fury' Star Shia LaBeouf ?Found God? in a Very Real Way'
- Kris Jenner Clears Up Rumors About Bruce Jenner's Transformation; Monica Lewinsky Was "In Love" With Bill Clinton: Top 5 Stories
- Teresa Giudice Dropped By Crisis Manager Wendy Feldman After Filing Orange Is The New Black Prison Request: Details
- Ryan Phillippe Disses His Own Career: "I've Made 30-Plus Films," "Five of Them Are Good"