Kim Cattrall Skeptical That 'Sex and the City 3' Will Ever Get Made
By Jo Piazza Posted Jun 13th 2011 10:32AM
"I don't know if it will happen. I really, really have no idea," Cattrall told PopEater at the second annual Aruba Film Festival red carpet gala for her independent film 'Meet Monica Velour.' "I love playing Samantha Jones. I would love playing Samantha Jones again, but I don't know if I will."
Last week Mr. Big himself, Chris Noth, similarly said that the future is not looking good for another 'Sex' flick.
Cattrall did explain her original reluctance to turn the hit HBO show into a film franchise for which she has continually been branded the "difficult" member of the cast when it comes to getting the movies made.
"Originally I was asked to do the movie with no script no start date and a very paltry sum. I thought the three of us should fight for a piece of what we created and that was my reluctance," Cattrall said during a press conference for the film at the Hyatt Regency Aruba. "The four of us were not set for life. We were on cable TV and we were not making nearly what our counterparts in television were making. I thought we were working damn hard and it was the time to negotiate that."
"They asked me to gain 30 but I didn't want to make myself sick," Cattrall said. "We made a deal saying I would gain 15 lbs before the film and 5 lbs during. But I did enjoy grabbing my stomach and feeling what that extra weight felt like."
With 'Monica Velour,' Cattrall gains some serious street cred as a screen actress, something she shelved decades ago in order to pay rent and, as she says, support her low-paying "theater habit."
"My early career was supporting my theater habit and there was no way I could pay a loan, nevermind my rent on what I was making in theater. Movies became a way for me to do that and I didn't take it quite seriously," Cattrall said.
That line broke our heart as our fantasy of Cattrall and Andrew McCarthy teaming up for a Mannequin 3 was relegated to the dustbin.
"For basically four or five days work in 'Porky's' I made enough money to live over an eight month period. I needed the money, I was broke and I made that choice for survival. I didn't want to go back and be a waitress again," Cattrall said adding that it changed her entire career path. "I started not to be seen as this girl with a theater background. It made me this objectified sexy girl next door and 'Mannequin' and 'Police Academy' were a natural graduation from 'Porky's' and I didn't take it seriously. I couldn't get in the door to meet the directors that Michelle Pfeiffer was."
She credits 'Sex and the City' with directors and Hollywood finally taking her seriously.
Now that Cattrall has overcome the girl next door thing (and become the cougar next door?), she does have to battle the stigma of Samantha Jones, something she is finding easier to do outside of America.
"In England they aren't interested in casting me as Samantha. Across the pond they see me as an actress who plays many roles, so I am interested in continuing to work in television and I have a project with the BBC which I am producing," Cattrall said.
► Follow @JoPiazza on Twitter
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: Tan Mom makes an unfortunate music video
- ?Daily Show' co-creator Lizz Winstead sparks outrage with Oklahoma tornado joke about conservatives
- Country star Toby Keith says tornado-ravaged Okla. hometown is 'resilient,' planning benefit
- John Malone's Liberty Global Eyes Sale of TV Channels Arm (Report)
- Cannes: Indian Director Anurag Kashyap on His Five Films on the Croisette (Q&A)
- Cannes: U.K.'s Rainmark Films Partners With Germany's Beta for Nordic Crime Thriller
- ?Glee': I don't know what month the show is taking place in and it's driving me insane!
- Nine highlights from Microsoft's debut of next-gen Xbox One
- ?Glee' star Jenna Ushkowitz takes EW's Pop Culture Personality Test ? VIDEO
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- This Witch Gets You One Step Closer to a Trip to the Premiere of 'World War Z' (PHOTO)
- Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- 'The Lone Ranger' Trailer: The Rise of an American Legend