Mark Ballas Says He'd Pair Up With a Man on 'Dancing With the Stars'
By Rob Shuter Posted Jun 13th 2011 09:10AM
Just call it Tracy Morgan's worst nightmare: Same-sex partners on 'Dancing With the Stars'!!! 'DWTS' pro Mark Ballas endorses the idea, even with its disadvantages, and discusses with me the stereotypes of all male dancers being gay. For starters, there's only one on the hit ABC show, he reveals.
"We have eight male professional dancers and one is gay," Mark tells me. "I never dealt with the stigma, I was at a performing arts school, so it wasn't an issue. I always thought if I were ever confronted about it, I'd just say, "Well, while you're on the football field with a bunch of dudes, I'll be dancing with a bunch of girls."
Mark says straight men that are reluctant or just generally scoff at the idea of dancing should break out of their comfort zone.
"It doesn't make sense that men wouldn't want to dance," he says. "How can you not want to dance with your girl? How can you not want to do that?"
Mark tells me that his first choice of celebrity dance partner next season would be Royal sister, Pippa Middleton, but would be totally fine with the idea of being the first American cast member to dance with a same sex partner.
"I would be totally cool with it," Mark tells me. "There are other competitions where they have same sex couples. I'd support it. There is a slight inherent disadvantage. Two girls and two men just can't move like a man and a woman. But you can try."
Mark recently made headlines with a brief relationship with 'American Idol' standout Pia Toscano. Though it didn't last long, they did team up for a memorable "duet" of sorts on 'Dancing.'
He has finished third the past two seasons of the hit show, first with Bristol Palin and then again last month with Disney star Chelsea Kane.
So what about if he was partnered with Ricky Martin next season, "I'd be down!" says Mark.
Pick up Mark's great new album now, titled 'Hurt Love Box,' and watch the video for 'Hotwire':
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- TV News -
- Interviews -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Caitlyn Jenner Wears a Sweater, Jeans for Low-Key Drive in Her Porsche: See New Pics
- Real Housewives of Orange County Recap: Vicki Learns of Her Mother's Death in Devastating Phone Call
- The Bachelorette Recap: Shawn Confronts Nick About Kaitlyn -- "I Think You're An A--hole"
- Dustin Hoffman: Film today is 'the worst'
- Sarah Jessica Parker is still apologizing for 'Sex and the City 3' rumors
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' actress Amanda Peterson dies at 43
- The Bachelorette Showdown Goes Down As Kaitlyn Finally Spills the Beans
- Yolanda Foster Puts on Brave Face in Hyperbaric Chamber to Help Treat Her Lyme Disease—See The Pic
- Beyoncé Has Star-Studded Fourth of July Celebration in New Orleans With Sister Solange, Kelly Rowland & Missy Elliott