'Spider-Man' Producer Laura Ziskin Passes Away
By Kelly Fisher Posted Jun 13th 2011 07:04AM
According to E! Online, in addition to her work on 'Spider-Man,' she also served as a producer for the 1990 hit 'Pretty Woman.' In 2002, she was also the first woman to serve as a solo producer for the Academy Awards -- a role for which she won several Emmy Awards.
Ziskin was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer in 2004 and decided to co-found the cancer-fighting organization Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C).
"It is with great sadness that we share with you the news that our colleague and dear friend Laura Ziskin, co-founder of Stand Up To Cancer, passed away peacefully today at her home in Santa Monica, California," the organization said in a statement.
"While our hearts are broken, this loss strengthens the determination of the entire Stand Up To Cancer family to make Laura's fervent wish one day become a reality: to make it possible for everyone diagnosed with cancer to become long term survivors," the statement continued.
Christina Applegate, a breast cancer survivor, tweeted in honor of Ziskin Sunday night. "Just heard that the remarkable, talented, amazing Laura Ziskin has passed away! #su2c we will continue to fight for you!!! Bless you Laura!" she wrote.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 2015 Super Bowl ads: You want 'em? We got 'em
- Amy Duggar reveals she was born out of wedlock
- Rap mogul Suge Knight charged with murder
- 'The Originals': Nathan Parsons on Hayley and Jackon's Wedding, Looming Battle With Klaus
- Berlin: Katie Holmes and Evan Rachel Wood Team for 'Taxonomy'
- Sundance: 'Dope' Gets Summer Theatrical Release Date
- This 'Game of Thrones' Season 5 Trailer Is the Best Thing You'll See All Weekend (VIDEO)
- How Indie Filmmakers Have Transformed TV
- 10 Crazy Emotional 'Parenthood' Moments