'The Glee Project' Cast-Off Bryce Talks Fans, Future
By Rae Votta Posted Jun 14th 2011 06:20PM
Each week PopEater will be chatting with eliminated contestants from Oxygen's new show, 'The Glee Project,' a reality series with a 7-episode arc on the hit show 'Glee' on the line. We talked with Bryce Ross-Johnson, the first to go, about his road to the show, what it's like having international 'Glee' fans now and what's next for his career.
PopEater: How did you end up on 'The Glee Project'?
Bryce: I auditioned on a whim. My mom's friend saw my YouTube videos and told her to tell me to audition. I waited until the very last night to make a video in my dorm in Boston, last April, and then it wasn't until October that they had me come to LA to do a live audition. At first I thought there was no way I'd get it, but then I kept making it further and by the time I was waiting for Robert (Ulrich, the 'Glee' casting director) to call me with the news I really wanted it. I was stressing out, sitting by my computer, and the first time he called me I hung up on him by accident and thought it was over! But he called back and let me know I was in the Top 12.
PopEater: Have you ever tried out for other reality competition shows? Would you in the future?
Bryce: I tried out for Idol the same way I did for 'Glee,' I decided last minute just to show up and ended up being in the last 100 performers they saw that day. I didn't get past the first round, but the producers were really kind to me and encouraged me to try out next year. After ('The Glee Project') experience I don't know if I would try out for another show. This experience was so fun and great and I don't want to ruin that experience with something not as good on another show.
PopEater: The pace of the show seems really frantic when you watch it at home. Did it feel that crazy being in it?
Bryce: It didn't feel as frantic but it was a lot of hurry up and wait. It was definitely stressful. I know it doesn't look like I was having any fun on the show, but I really was, even with the stress.
PopEater: What's it like having 'Glee' fans interacting with you now?
Bryce: I love it, I respond to everyone and follow everyone back. I haven't had any crazy people yet, just a few asking for my phone number or if they can marry me, nothing too bad. Some of the fans are excited and they can't even see the show because they live in another country. That's crazy, they need to get the show more places.
PopEater: Now that you're out, who would you like to see win?
Bryce: I'd like Matheus to win, or Damian because he's charming. I think the guys are more different than the girls so I want a guy to win.
PopEater: Any particular character you'd want Damien or Matheus to play?
Bryce: It just depends ... whatever inspires Ryan (Murphy). Take Chris Colfer, he wasn't supposed to be a character at all until Ryan met him and made something for him. I think Matheus is so different and no one is like him.
PopEater: What's next for you post- 'Glee Project'?
Bryce: I've been writing my own music for a long time and gotten really far just doing that, so I want to continue. I actually started writing again for the first time in a year after the elimination, so that's a positive out of a negative.
You can catch 'The Glee Project' Sundays on Oxygen at 9 ET.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Stacy Keibler Gives Birth, Jessica Simpson's Killer Legs: Top 5 Friday Stories
- Christmas Jammies Family Makes Back-to-School "Baby Got Class" Parody: Watch Now!
- Chris Burke Reflects on Corky Character, Life Goes On, Down Syndrome on Upcoming Oprah: Where Are They Now? Episode
- Are You Ready For This? Sam Smith, Beyonce, Usher & Rita Ora Stun In VMA Rehearsals ? Sneak Peek Photo Special
- Outrage Over Woman Whose Dog Ate Marijuana ? PETA Calls It ‘A Stupid Thing’ To Do, Warns Of Potential Prosecution For Animal Abuse
- Man charged in biting attack at Chicago's Lollapalooza music festival that wounded 2 men
- '19 Kids and Counting' star Michelle Duggar on how she and husband Jim Bob keep the flame alive
- HBO exec defends violence, sex scenes in 'Game of Thrones'
- Kim Kardashian Ignores Buttons, Lets Cleavage Bust Out on Trip to San Diego—and See North Feed a Giraffe at the Zoo: Cute Pics!
- Nick Jonas Admits Next Single "Jealous" Is About Real Life, Talks Packing on Muscle for TV and Working With Dylan Penn
- Kate Middleton Headed to Malta: All the Details on the Duchess of Cambridge's First Official Solo Trip