Pal: 'Heartbroken' Hef Thought Crystal Was the One
By Rob Shuter Posted Jun 15th 2011 08:50AM
Moments after Hugh Hefner sadly confirmed that his wedding to 25-year-old model Crystal Harris won't be happening this Saturday -- she had a "change of heart," he said -- former girlfriends began tweeting their support, including Kendra Wilkinson. "We r comin over w some jack n coke," she promised, though the 'Girl Next Door' was only joking because she was en route to Chicago at the time. (She later deleted the "jack" tweet.)
Those close to the Playboy icon tell me he is coping, but truly heartbroken by Crystal's decision to leave him.
"He will die of a broken heart," a friend says. "He loves Crystal and wanted so much to finally be happily married to who he thought was the love of his life."
"The breakup is a heartbreaker, but better now than after the marriage," Hugh tweeted last night. Hef also showed he has a sense of humor about this setback, saying "Since we're not getting married on Saturday, I've scheduled a movie: 'Runaway Bride.' Seems appropriate."
He also corrected a report that claimed he and Crystal had had a "nasty argument" and he even fueled speculation that the breakup was timed to promote his ex's single by retweeting a message from travel blogger Linz Loves: "Omg @CrystalHarris left @hughhefner the day her single came out on iTunes. Coincidence? I think not."
What's clear is that many of Hef's friends and ex-lovers had had their concerns about the young blond who seemingly stole his heart only last year.
"I don't really know her," former Hugh lover Molly Madison told me in February she's clearly concerned about her ex's decision to get married. "I'm just really protective and want to make sure he's making the right choices."
And now that it's clear he didn't, sources tell me Holly and Kendra, who is now happily married with a family, will do whatever they can to support the man who first supported them.
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Filed under:
- Famous Couples -
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- Splitsville -
- TV News -
- Celebrity Twitter -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
MORE ABOUT Hugh Hefner
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Hugh Hefner Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Brian Williams Reports on Daughter Allison Williams' Casting as Peter Pan: Watch the Video
- Sharknado 2: Ian Ziering, Jason Priestley, Other Stars React With Hilarious Tweets
- Guardians of the Galaxy Review: Chris Pratt's Sci-Fi Is "Strictly B-List"
- ‘Child Of God’ premiere at Tribeca Grand Hotel
- Homeless Man Accused Of Stalking, Harassing GMA's Robin Roberts, Vowed He'd ‘Punch Her In The Face’
- Best Comic Con Style: Nina Dobrev and Emma Roberts
- What problem? Ariana Grande is new princess of pop with hit single, feverish fans, 2nd album
- Kelly Rowland talks pregnancy: ?It's a boy!'
- Stars who lost their mojo
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus Already Has Her Emmy Dress Picked Out, Minnie Driver Reveals Her Own Hair Plans For the Big Night
- The Real Housewives of Melbourne Invade Bravo—Meet Your New Aussie Faves!
- Aw! Brian Williams Announces Daughter Allison Williams' Casting as Peter Pan in NBC's Live Musical—Watch Now!