What Anthony Weiner Can Learn From Mel Gibson
By Jo Piazza Posted Jun 16th 2011 08:26AM
Congressman Anthony Weiner is looking to rehab his image with the American politic and his wife, close Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin. What better way to do it than steal a page out of the celebrity redemption playbook and enroll himself in "treatment" to make himself both a better person and a better husband. Will it work? Does rehab cleanse all sins?
Rehab is the celebrity equivalent of children being sent to their rooms. Through the redemptive process they are supposed to emerge properly chagrined. It is a time-out for bad behavior as well as a panacea for nearly every sin one can commit in Hollywood (and now, it seems, in Washington).
Mel Gibson went to rehab to bolster his image after a 2006 DUI arrest where he made the mistake of not only driving drunk (a pecuniary sin in Los Angeles where cabs are scarcer than brunettes) but by outing himself as an anti-Semitic bigot (less forgivable!), when he railed that members of the Jewish tribe were out for world domination.
This should have been a careerender in an industry dominated by Jewish executives, but the actor went to rehab, was able to repent and make an onscreen comeback in the 2010 thriller 'Edge of Darkness.' Rehab can cure anything, not just a hatred for the chosen people. Ask former 'Grey's Anatomy' star Isaiah Washington, who popped into rehab for calling a homosexual co-star a faggot, or professional golfer Tiger Woods who began his personal redemption tour of 2010 with a four-month inpatient treatment for sex addiction after cheating on his wife with every stripper, porn star and pancake house waitress adjacent to the PGA tour.
Cooper Lawrence, psychology expert of the Scott & Todd show on PLJ says she sees Weiner's entry into treatment as an insult to folks with real problems and real addictions.
"It's not until people get caught that all of a sudden they are sorry and it's an addiction. It's insulting to people who have real addiction issues that the guilty hide behind the guise of addiction," Lawrence tells PopEater. "The only issue he has is extreme arrogance. As far as I know, there isn't a twelve-step program for that. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Not everything is because of an addiction, sometimes you're just a jerk."
Dr. Jeff Gardere, a clinical psychologist has kinder words about the distinguished gentleman from Forest Hills, Queens and really wants to give him the benefit of the doubt.
"He now realizes that he may have a cyber sex addiction that may be fueled by deeper psychological issues and knows that it will benefit him, his marriage and his political future," Gardere tells us.
"Whether he is trying to fix his image or not, by taking the celebrity route to rehab, it doesn't matter as long as he gets the help that he really does need at this time."
There's one more thing Weiner can learn from his celebrity brothers and sisters. Rehab works once. The third time is a not a charm. If heading into treatment gets him back in the good graces of Congress (and more importantly, his family), it is a one-time only deal. Ask Lindsay Lohan.
► Follow @JoPiazza on Twitter
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- Movie News -
- CelebRehab -
- Sex That's SFW -
- TV News -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: NFL star gets tons of wedding gifts
- Helen Mirren dresses like Queen Elizabeth, grants sick child's wish to meet royality
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Is Kellie Pickler the best winner ever?
- Mark Hamill to Be Honored at PromaxBDA Conference (Exclusive)
- 'Cloud Atlas' Debuts at No. 1 on Blu-ray, DVD Charts
- Cannes: Nicolas Winding Refn's ?Only God Forgives' Gets Tepid Red Carpet Reception
- Five ?Arrested Development' fanfiction ? aka Bluthcest ? stories you didn't know existed
- EW's Bite of the Night: Submit your favorite quote from tonight's best TV!
- Amazon to launch fanfiction platform
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots!
- 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga