Oprah's Dream Interview: A Confessing O.J. Simpson
By Marc Schneider Posted Jun 16th 2011 04:14PM
Oprah Winfrey is admitting that her OWN channel has gotten off to a bumpy start, but if she lands her desired interview things may start to look up by next year. Winfrey told a cable industry trade show audience in Chicago on Thursday that her "dream" is to take on O.J. Simpson and get the ultimate scoop on her upcoming chat show, 'Oprah's Next Chapter.'
"I have a dream of O.J. Simpson confessing to me," said Winfrey to cheers, according to a Hollywood Reporter report. "And I am going to make that happen people."
Winfrey, letting it be known she thinks Simpson murdered wife Nicole Brown, said she would have a big condition for sitting down with the NFL great.
"I don't just want the interview," she told interviewer Paula Zahn. "I want the interview on the condition that you are ready, Mr. Simpson."
He was acquitted in a circus-like murder trial in 2005 but was later convicted in a civil case that awarded the families of the victims $33.5 million.
One teensy setback for realizing Oprah's dream is the fact Simpson is currently serving hard time in a kidnapping and armed robbery case. He currently lives at Lovelock Correctional Center in Nevada and will be eligible for parole in about 6 years.
Obviously a televised O.J. confession would potentially the biggest TV event in recent history, save for Super Bowls and balloon boy coverage (kidding), and a ratings bonanza would be just what Winfrey's network could use.
She told Zahn the "bumps along the way" have been surprising to her, namely the sub-par ratings and issues with the network's direction. One top executive departed last month. She said that it's partly her fault because she had to deal with the monumental task of closing out her talk show. But now she's putting it all in for OWN.
"I now have the time to be committed to the nurturing of this network," Winfrey said. "The vacation I thought I was going to have is kind of over ... at least for the time being."
On the lower-than-expected ratings, she said "I let other people worry about ratings ... For me, it is always about service to the viewers. I have committed everything I have to this cable venture. I wouldn't bet against me."
Oprah will star in several shows on the network, including 'Oprah's Next Chapter,' 'Season 25: Oprah Behind the Scenes,' Oprah Presents Master Class' and 'Your OWN Show: Oprah's Search for the Next TV Star.'
MORE ABOUT Oprah Winfrey
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Oprah Winfrey Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jenelle Evans of Teen Mom 2 Wears Crop Top, Shows Off Flat Stomach Two Months After Giving Birth: Picture
- Heather Morris Is Engaged to Longtime Boyfriend Taylor Hubbell
- Suge Knight Released From Hospital After Getting Shot 6 Times During Pre-VMA Shooting
- Farrah Abraham BLASTS ?Teen Mom' Reunion Season ? ?I Don't Think It Will Be As Great Without Me'
- Kandi Burruss Wants To Get Pregnant ?This Year' With Husband Todd Tucker ? ?Knock It Out By 39!'
- Go Directly To Jail! Feds Order ‘RHOA’ Star Apollo Nida To Report To Prison ? Details Of His Surrender
- 'Cops' crew member killed by police officers
- FOX411's pic of the day
- 'Sons of Guns' canceled after star Will Hayden arrested for allegedly repeatedly raping minor
- If USC Football Player Josh Shaw's Story About Jumping Into a Pool to Save a Drowning Boy Sounded Too Heroic to Be True... Well, It Was
- Chris O'Dowd and Wife, Dawn O'Porter, Reveal They're Expecting a Baby During ALS Ice Bucket Challenge—Watch Now!
- Bitch Stole Our Look! Rosie Huntington-Whiteley vs. Olivia Palermo vs. Suki Waterhouse vs. Cara Delevingne in Burberry