Oprah's Dream Interview: A Confessing O.J. Simpson
By Marc Schneider Posted Jun 16th 2011 04:14PM
Oprah Winfrey is admitting that her OWN channel has gotten off to a bumpy start, but if she lands her desired interview things may start to look up by next year. Winfrey told a cable industry trade show audience in Chicago on Thursday that her "dream" is to take on O.J. Simpson and get the ultimate scoop on her upcoming chat show, 'Oprah's Next Chapter.'
"I have a dream of O.J. Simpson confessing to me," said Winfrey to cheers, according to a Hollywood Reporter report. "And I am going to make that happen people."
Winfrey, letting it be known she thinks Simpson murdered wife Nicole Brown, said she would have a big condition for sitting down with the NFL great.
"I don't just want the interview," she told interviewer Paula Zahn. "I want the interview on the condition that you are ready, Mr. Simpson."
He was acquitted in a circus-like murder trial in 2005 but was later convicted in a civil case that awarded the families of the victims $33.5 million.
One teensy setback for realizing Oprah's dream is the fact Simpson is currently serving hard time in a kidnapping and armed robbery case. He currently lives at Lovelock Correctional Center in Nevada and will be eligible for parole in about 6 years.
Obviously a televised O.J. confession would potentially the biggest TV event in recent history, save for Super Bowls and balloon boy coverage (kidding), and a ratings bonanza would be just what Winfrey's network could use.
She told Zahn the "bumps along the way" have been surprising to her, namely the sub-par ratings and issues with the network's direction. One top executive departed last month. She said that it's partly her fault because she had to deal with the monumental task of closing out her talk show. But now she's putting it all in for OWN.
"I now have the time to be committed to the nurturing of this network," Winfrey said. "The vacation I thought I was going to have is kind of over ... at least for the time being."
On the lower-than-expected ratings, she said "I let other people worry about ratings ... For me, it is always about service to the viewers. I have committed everything I have to this cable venture. I wouldn't bet against me."
Oprah will star in several shows on the network, including 'Oprah's Next Chapter,' 'Season 25: Oprah Behind the Scenes,' Oprah Presents Master Class' and 'Your OWN Show: Oprah's Search for the Next TV Star.'
MORE ABOUT Oprah Winfrey
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Oprah Winfrey Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jen Aniston, Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens and a Host of Other A-List Stars Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on Chelsea Lately Finale Show
- Pamela Anderson Calls off Divorce from Husband Rick Salomon, Couple Still Married
- Chris Soules Is the Next Bachelor, Arie Luyendyk Jr. Reacts; Meet Julianna Margulies Hot Husband: Top 5 Stories
- With Luggage & ?Dembabies' In Tow, Mariah Carey Bolts NYC Apartment, As Speculation About Divorce From Nick Cannon Heats Up
- Check Your Weekly Horoscope To Find Out What's To Come This Week (August 27th)
- DJ Casey Kasem's Widow Jean Flees To Norway With His Body: Daughter Claims Jean Is Trying To Escape Elder Abuse Charges
- Conrad Hilton, Paris' brother, sustains major injuries in car crash
- Stars without the warpaint
- Angaleena Presley confirms Pistol Annies are on hold, debuts first solo album
- Chelsea Handler Gives a Heartfelt Goodbye During the Chelsea Lately Series Finale—See the Emotional Clip!
- Jennifer Aniston, Gwen Stefani, Selena Gomez and Many More Celebs Sing Goodbye to Chelsea Lately—Watch the Clip!
- Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Aniston and Mary McCormack Host Intervention for Chelsea Handler—See the Chelsea Lately Clip!