311's Nick Hexum Delivers Baby at Home
By Kelly Fisher Posted Jun 17th 2011 07:40AM
According to PEOPLE, Hexum and his wife, Nikki, planned on having a home birth for their second daughter, Maxine, but Nikki went into labor before the midwife arrived.
Hexum had to be quick on his feet, not only for the delivery, but to deal with some scary complications as well when the baby got lodged in the birth canal.
"After Max's head popped out, the delivery stalled for the next couple of contractions. The baby's head was blue and the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck," Hexum said of the terrifying delivery. "I was worried the cord was choking her, keeping blood from getting to her brain."
But luckily, the singer paid close attention when the couple's first daughter, Echo, 21 months, was born.
"I knew from observing and listening the first time around that sometimes the baby's shoulder would get caught and they would have to reach in there and break its collar bone to free her," he said, adding that he "felt the shoulders and rotated the baby back and forth."
That seemed to do the trick, and baby Maxine was born on May 1.
"I jiggled her around until I heard a 'wahhh!' It was an amazing moment," Hexum said of the birth, and adding that the midwife arrived minutes later.
"Everything was fine!" the singer said of the whole thing. "We never went to the hospital. We just sat in bed laughing and crying tears of joy about what a crazy experience it was."
Hexum's new album with 311, 'Universal Pulse,' drops July 19.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Keith Richards documentary, solo album debut same day
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen pondering 'Fuller House' role, Netflix boss says
- ABC's David Muir and NBC's Lester Holt neck-and-neck
- Extra Scoop: Nick Gordon's Family Says He Did Not Cause Bobbi Kristina's Death
- Extra Hot Deals: Kimono Scarves, Skincare, and Necklaces!
- Charlotte McKinney's Big Boobs Are a Huge Struggle for Her — See the Six Reasons Why!
- Evan Ross Shares Never-Before-Seen Photos From His Dreamy Wedding to Ashlee Simpson
- Danielle Brooks Embraces Curves With Sports Bra Gym Selfie: "I Should Not Be Ashamed of My Body"
- Christina Applegate Turned Down the Role of Legally Blonde's Elle Woods: "What a Stupid Move"