Joan Rivers on Tracy Morgan's Homophobic Rant: 'He Shouldn't Apologize'
By Christine Fenno Posted Jun 18th 2011 11:52AM
Morgan has been under fire since June 3, when he allegedly told a Nashville comedy-club crowd of the violent reaction he might have if his son ever came out to him. Witnesses reported an act filled with homophobic tirades.
Outrageous comic Joan Rivers, however, seems outraged by just one thing: "The biggest crime of all," Rivers says, "is that Tracy Morgan isn't funny. You know what he should be apologizing for? For charging $86 to see him."
Morgan's mea culpa is overboard, Rivers believes. "He's not a Mensa comic," she tells The Daily Beast. "He's not the voice of this generation."
"He shouldn't apologize," she added. "Gay fans? What are they doing seeing him anyhow? Why aren't they watching me and Kathy Griffin? What are they doing at this show? He's lost his [one] gay fan."
GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios disagrees wholeheartedly. "Returning to Tennessee and apologizing to those he offended is an important step in showing that Tracy truly understands the weight of his words," Barrios said. "In a state that continues to put anti-gay laws on the books, it's now more important than ever that we let Tennesseans know that homophobia has no place on or off the stage."
Comedy stars have been weighing in, from Chris Rock's back-and-forth tweets on the matter, to Wanda Sykes' analysis spreading blame beyond Morgan: "Tracy is just a dumb comic. I fault the TN lawmakers. They've created an anti-gay environment." Meanwhile, stand-up comic and sitcom star Jay Mohr seemed surprised that Morgan was still employed by '30 Rock,' tweeting, "If I said what Tracy Morgan said, I would DEFINITELY be out of a job Monday morning. #Fact."
Some '30 Rock' co-workers have gone on record, including Morgan's boss Tina Fey calling his rant "violent" and "disturbing" (she added, "The Tracy Morgan I know...is not a hateful man and is generally much too sleepy and self-centered to ever hurt another person"). Co-star Cheyenne Jackson was "disgusted and appalled," according to his statement on the controversy. Meanwhile, NBC exec Robert Greenblatt said, "We do not condone hate or violence of any kind and I am pleased to see Tracy Morgan apologizing for recent homophobic remarks."
Morgan was photographed Friday at an undisclosed location, meeting with homeless gay teens to discuss their experiences.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Joan Rivers' Daughter Melissa Releases Statement About Fashion Police Host's Condition, Says She's "Resting Comfortably"
- Joan Rivers in Medically Induced Coma After Experiencing Complications During Surgery
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Are Married; Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow, Courteney Cox have Friends Reunion: Top 5 Stories
- Kim Kardashian Admits Brody Jenner Was Upset She Didn't Invite His Girlfriend To Her Kanye West Nuptials
- Joan Rivers In Medically Induced Coma – Report
- Britney ?Betrayed!' Boyfriend Caught On Tape With Another Woman ? She's ?Devastated,' Says Source
- New Zack Morris: Unauthorized story 'a love letter' to Saved By The Bell
- Pregnant or burrito grande?
- Joan Rivers 'resting comfortably' after being rushed to hospital, daughter says
- Inside Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's Budget Wedding—It Was Practically Free!
- Joan Rivers Hospitalized: Fellow Celebrities Tweet Support and Heartfelt Hopes That Pioneering Comedian Gets Well Soon
- Ray J Arrested for Battery, Trespassing and Vandalism at Beverly Wilshire Hotel