Joan Rivers on Tracy Morgan's Homophobic Rant: 'He Shouldn't Apologize'
By Christine Fenno Posted Jun 18th 2011 11:52AM
Morgan has been under fire since June 3, when he allegedly told a Nashville comedy-club crowd of the violent reaction he might have if his son ever came out to him. Witnesses reported an act filled with homophobic tirades.
Outrageous comic Joan Rivers, however, seems outraged by just one thing: "The biggest crime of all," Rivers says, "is that Tracy Morgan isn't funny. You know what he should be apologizing for? For charging $86 to see him."
Morgan's mea culpa is overboard, Rivers believes. "He's not a Mensa comic," she tells The Daily Beast. "He's not the voice of this generation."
"He shouldn't apologize," she added. "Gay fans? What are they doing seeing him anyhow? Why aren't they watching me and Kathy Griffin? What are they doing at this show? He's lost his [one] gay fan."
GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios disagrees wholeheartedly. "Returning to Tennessee and apologizing to those he offended is an important step in showing that Tracy truly understands the weight of his words," Barrios said. "In a state that continues to put anti-gay laws on the books, it's now more important than ever that we let Tennesseans know that homophobia has no place on or off the stage."
Comedy stars have been weighing in, from Chris Rock's back-and-forth tweets on the matter, to Wanda Sykes' analysis spreading blame beyond Morgan: "Tracy is just a dumb comic. I fault the TN lawmakers. They've created an anti-gay environment." Meanwhile, stand-up comic and sitcom star Jay Mohr seemed surprised that Morgan was still employed by '30 Rock,' tweeting, "If I said what Tracy Morgan said, I would DEFINITELY be out of a job Monday morning. #Fact."
Some '30 Rock' co-workers have gone on record, including Morgan's boss Tina Fey calling his rant "violent" and "disturbing" (she added, "The Tracy Morgan I know...is not a hateful man and is generally much too sleepy and self-centered to ever hurt another person"). Co-star Cheyenne Jackson was "disgusted and appalled," according to his statement on the controversy. Meanwhile, NBC exec Robert Greenblatt said, "We do not condone hate or violence of any kind and I am pleased to see Tracy Morgan apologizing for recent homophobic remarks."
Morgan was photographed Friday at an undisclosed location, meeting with homeless gay teens to discuss their experiences.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kris Jenner Clears Up Rumors About Bruce Jenner's Transformation; Monica Lewinsky Was "In Love" With Bill Clinton: Top 5 Stories
- Teresa Giudice Dropped By Crisis Manager Wendy Feldman After Filing Orange Is The New Black Prison Request: Details
- Ryan Phillippe Disses His Own Career: "I've Made 30-Plus Films," "Five of Them Are Good"
- Famed Fashion Designer Oscar De La Renta Dies At 82
- Monica Lewinsky Says ?I Lost My Public Self' During First Public Speaking Engagement ? ?I Fell In Love With My Boss'
- A Mother's Desperate Plea: Teresa Giudice Begs Judge To Lock Her Up In Connecticut Near Daughters, After Hiring New Lawyer
- Fashion designer Oscar de la Renta dies at age 82
- The designs of Oscar de la Renta
- 'Real Housewives' star Brandi Glanville reportedly dating 23-year-old
- Go Girl! Jennifer Lawrence Swings an Ax and Impresses All the Guys in New Serena Clip
- FKA Twigs Takes "Video Girl" to Extreme With Google Glass in New Conceptual Video: Watch Now!
- RIP Oscar de la Renta: Famous Fashion Designer Remembered by Taylor Swift, Ivanka Trump and More Celebs