Princess Diana's Brother, Charles Spencer, Marries Wife No. 3
By Christine Fenno Posted Jun 18th 2011 01:23PM
The ninth Earl Spencer, Charles, wed Canadian philanthropist Karen Gordon in a morning wedding on the grounds of the ancestral estate where Diana is buried, according to the U.K.'s Telegraph.
Spencer, 47, and Gordon, 37, announced their engagement in February after meeting at a Los Angeles cocktail party and enjoying a whirlwind romance. In late April, the fiances attended the Westminster Abbey wedding of his nephew, Prince William, sitting together in the same church where Spencer once gave his controversial eulogy criticizing the royal family at the 1997 funeral of his sister. Diana's sons, however, were noticeably absent from their uncle's wedding this weekend.
William and his new bride Kate Middleton (now Duchess of Cambridge) skipped the celebration, as did Diana's other son, Prince Harry, who reportedly had "a long-standing private engagement" that conflicted with his uncle's latest nuptials. William, currently on duty in the Royal Air Force, was an adorable page boy at Spencer's 1989 wedding to first wife Victoria Lockwood. The marriage ended bitterly in 1997 amid infidelity allegations.
Saturday's ceremony at Althorp preceded a luncheon that was attended by approximately 170 guests, including the sisters of the late Princess Diana, Lady Jane Fellowes and Lady Sarah McCorquodale.
Also at the wedding were Spencer's six children from his two previous marriages, and Gordon's two children with her ex-husband, Hollywood producer Mark Gordon ('Saving Private Ryan,' 'Grey's Anatomy').
After Spencer, whose estimated worth is nearly $200 million, abruptly ended his engagement to British socialite Lady Bianca Eliot in September 2010, he began romancing Gordon, whose U.S.-based charity Whole Child International aids orphans around the globe. The newlyweds reportedly plan to make the bride's Southern California home their primary residence.
Stars on the Beach
'Real Housewives of New York' star Kelly Bensimon enjoys a day on the beach sunning, laughing with friends and frolicking in the water in Miami.
MORE ABOUT Prince William
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Prince William Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ashton Kutcher Goes Back to His Punk'd Roots, Pranks Unsuspecting Australians
- Violet Affleck, Jennifer Garner Support Ben Affleck at U.S. Senate Hearing: Pics
- Bobbi Kristina Brown's Cousin Jerod Speaks Out After Arrest, Wants World to "Uplift Auntie Whitney's Greatest Love of All"
- MSNBC apologizes for guest's inflammatory comment on country music
- Cate Blanchett loses patience with reporter
- Hope Solo: Dealing with a lot of my issues
- Zac Efron's Model Girlfriend Sami Miró Breaks Silence on Their Relationship: ''It's Definitely Different''
- Miley Cyrus Slams ''A--hole'' Indiana Governor Mike Pence Over Bill Allowing Discrimination Against Gays
- Punk'd Again! Ashton Kutcher Pranks, Spoons & Kisses Aussies in Hidden Camera Segment—Watch Now