'Lost' Star Evangeline Lilly Joins 'The Hobbit'
By Moviefone Editors Posted Jun 20th 2011 07:34AM
Via his Facebook page, Jackson announced the casting of former 'Lost' star Evangeline Lilly in his next epic film.
Lilly won't be playing a hobbit, like her ex-boyfriend (and 'Lost' co-star), Dominic Monaghan did in 'The Lord of the Rings' franchise: She's been cast as a new character, a Woodland Elf named Tauriel. Jackson is coy about the role, which was apparently written just for the film.
"Her name means 'daughter of Mirkwood' and, beyond that, we must leave you guessing," Jackson teased in his post, although he did clarify, "No, there is no romantic connection to Legolas [Orlando Bloom].
"What is not a secret is how talented and compelling an actress Evangeline is," Jackson added. "We are thrilled and excited she will be the one to bring our first true Sylvan Elf to life."
Jackson also announced the casting of Australian actor Barry Humphries (a.k.a. his alter ego, the purple bewigged, sparkly-spectacles aficionado Dame Edna) in the project.
Humphries will be portraying the Goblin King "in much the way Andy Serkis created Gollum," Jackson said. He added that Humphries, who also lent his voice to Bruce the Shark in 'Finding Nemo,' is "a fine actor, and we're looking forward to seeing him invest the Goblin King with the delicate sensitivity and emotional depth this character deserves."
Jackson shared, "We've finished our first block of shooting and moved straight into location scouting," and that these new cast members are joining the production for its "second block of shooting."
These latest additions -- as well as Luke Evans as the Bard and Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug the dragon-- "just about rounds out the major casting. I cannot wait to get stuck into these new scenes!" Jackson posted.
See more at Moviefone.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ice-T, Ted Nugent documentary looks at the history of the Second Amendment
- 'Hangover Part III' review: It is somehow even worse than the second
- Break Time: Brad Pitt won't film any more sex scenes on screen
- BBC Says It Might Start Charging BSkyB for Channels
- Cannes: Norwegian Oil Thriller 'Pioneer' Sells Wide
- Universal Channel to Launch in Germany
- Waterworks alert: Today's Google Doodle is a teenage contest winner
- ?Fast Five' honest trailer: A look back at what makes the franchise both glorious and ridiculous ? VIDEO
- The Benedict Cumberbatch shower scene you DIDN'T see in ?Star Trek Into Darkness' ? VIDEO
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
MoviefoneFEEDMore News at Inside Movies Li